This simple Texas Caviar is full of black eyed peas, black beans, corn, and extra colourful greens. Boost this simple, flavorful dip recipe with some recent jalapeño, and add some avocado for further taste!
Straightforward Texas Cowboy Caviar
I don’t know of many dips that may also be served as aspect salads, however Texas Caviar, also called Cowboy Caviar, can! It’s the primary of many improbable qualities that this dip has.
Texas cowboy caviar is made with tender black beans, black eyed peas, juicy corn kernels, crisp bell peppers, and seeded jalapeños. All of that’s lined in a lightweight dressing, which is good and smoky on the similar time. The chili powder offers it just a little kick, the lime juice provides zest, and the sugar rounds out the flavour mixture. All in all, this simple dip is a delight for the tastebuds, and it requires virtually no effort to create. Severely. No effort. Simply 5 minutes of blending!
As talked about above, you possibly can serve it on the aspect of your favourite barbecue, dip tortilla chips into it, gobble it down as an excellent gentle, tremendous fast lunch, and many others. The selection is yours!
What’s Texas Caviar?
This dip recipe originated in Texas, made with black eyed peas, black beans, corn, crimson and inexperienced peppers, onion and a vinaigrette-like dressing. It features as a scrumptious dip for each appetizers and snacking.
It’s jokingly referred to as ‘caviar’ to make a comparability to fish roe caviar, which is far more costly than this vegetable model is. Each are served at events, however it’s loads simpler to make Texas caviar from scratch!
So, as you possibly can see, caviar doesn’t need to be fancy. It may be easy, cost-friendly, and scrumptious all on the similar time.
And you should use recent veggies to make it, which is at all times a plus when you’ve bought a backyard or a farmer’s market proper across the nook!
Right here’s what you’ll must whip a bowl collectively:
- Beans: You’ll want a can of black eyed peas and a can of black beans. Each have to be drained, rinsed, and dried.
- Corn: I used a can of candy corn, drained and dried.
- Bell Peppers: I like to make use of a crimson bell pepper and a inexperienced bell pepper (for differing flavors and colours), diced small.
- Onion: Seize a crimson onion and cube it earlier than beginning.
- Jalapeños: Seeded and diced. These are non-compulsory, however I like just a little warmth in my caviar.
- Cilantro Leaves: Chopped frivolously, for taste.
- Olive Oil: That is the bottom for the sunshine dressing.
- Lime Juice: Recent squeezed is finest as a result of it presents the brightest, tangiest taste.
- Pink Wine Vinegar: Rice vinegar works too.
- Seasoning: Mix garlic powder, sugar, chili powder, floor cumin, and salt.
- Avocado: Diced – that is non-compulsory, however I really like the creaminess it provides.
Make Texas Caviar
Alright, let’s get into this 5 minute dip! I’ve only a couple suggestions for you earlier than we dive into the directions, that are:
- Drain the black eyed peas, beans, and corn earlier than beginning. Rinse them, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- When you’ve added the French dressing, let it sit for an hour to meld the flavors for finest outcomes.
That’s just about it, so listed here are the remainder of the instructions:
Combine the Beans and Veggies Collectively: In a big bowl, mix the black eyed peas, black beans, corn, crimson and inexperienced bell peppers, crimson onion, jalapeño, and cilantro. Toss to mix and put aside.
Combine the Dressing Collectively: In a medium sized bowl whisk to mix the olive oil, lime juice, crimson wine vinegar, sugar, chili powder, cumin and salt.
Mix Each Elements: Pour the olive oil combination over the bean combination and toss to coat. Cowl and place within the fridge for 1 hour. Add avocado, if desired, and serve with crackers or chips.
Methods to Use It
Texas caviar may be very versatile – there are such a lot of scrumptious methods to make use of it! I prefer to preserve some round always throughout the summer season. You by no means know whenever you may want a fast appetizer, and simple aspect salad, and many others.
Listed below are a few of my go-to methods to serve and use this dip:
- With Chips and Crackers: Put out a bowl of Texas caviar with tortilla chips, and watch it disappear! It is a easy but scrumptious appetizer choice.
- On High of Burgers: As a substitute of loading up your burger with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and extra, spoon some caviar on there and revel in.
- As a Facet Salad: I prefer to serve it on the aspect of summer season meals like grilled steak, baked rooster, grilled salmon, and many others.
- On Quesadillas: As a substitute of topping your quesadillas with pico de gallo or salsa, throw on some Texas caviar!
You’ll be able to retailer this Texas caviar for as much as 3 days in an hermetic container, within the fridge. I like to recommend not including any avocado till you’re able to serve, or it should brown.
For the Caviar:
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black eyed peas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 (15 oz) can candy corn, drained and dried
- ½ cup crimson bell pepper, diced small
- ½ cup inexperienced bell pepper, diced small
- ½ cup crimson onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped frivolously
- 1 avocado, diced (non-compulsory)
For the Dressing:
- In a big bowl, mix the black eyed peas, black beans, corn, crimson and inexperienced bell peppers, crimson onion, jalapeño, and cilantro. Toss to mix and put aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk to mix the olive oil, lime juice, crimson wine vinegar, sugar, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Pour the olive oil combination over the bean combination and toss to coat. Cowl and place within the fridge for 1 hour.
- Add avocado, if desired, and serve with crackers or chips.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 474Whole Fats: 25gSaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 20gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 15gSugar: 10gProtein: 15g
Wish to Save This Recipe?
Extra dips and Sauces
In search of less difficult dip recipes for appetizers and snacks? Strive these ones out:
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.