Good the artwork of Selfmade Pie Crust with this straightforward recipe! Tender, flaky pie crust solely requires a number of pantry elements and about an hour within the kitchen. I’m sharing my tricks to make the last word buttery crust to make use of with all of your favourite pie recipes! It’s simpler than you suppose.
The Good Flaky Crust for All Your Favourite Pies
When you’ve made a flaky pie crust at dwelling, you’ll be laborious pressed to ever look again to retailer purchased once more. It’s like an entire new world of prospects. Pie crusts for pies! Pie dough for cobblers! Pie dough within the freezer for all the long run pies you’re planning to make. With out leaving the home! It’s a revelation, imagine me.
At this time, I’m sharing my favourite recipe for selfmade flaky pie crust. That is the crust I take advantage of in terms of Pumpkin Pie, Coconut Cream Pie, Candy Potato Pie, and Berry Cobbler. If the considered making pastry from scratch is supplying you with coronary heart palpitations, let’s put these fears comfy. A buttery pie dough is straightforward sufficient to make, with out a lot fuss, for any and all your favourite pie recipes.
What’s the key to a superbly buttery, crispy pie crust? Collect spherical, buddies. It’s time to broaden the sharing circle!
What You’ll Want
This recipe makes two 9-inch pie crusts with just some frequent pantry elements. The complete quantities are included within the recipe card afterward – be at liberty to scale the recipe up or down as wanted!
- Flour: This recipe will work with any all-purpose flour, although I like to recommend discovering a very good high quality all-purpose flour when you can.
- Butter: Unsalted and cubed. Let the butter keep good and chilly within the fridge till you’re prepared to make use of it! The colder, the higher.
- Sugar: Good outdated granulated sugar is finest for pastry.
- Ice Water: Including ice water into the pie dough prevents the fat within the butter from melting into the flour. You need these bits of chilly fats for completely flaky pastry!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A little bit of a commerce secret to pie dough perfection, vinegar helps to stop gluten growth (much less gluten = flakier crust). Add a touch of apple cider vinegar to the dough together with the ice water for a young crust.
- Egg: There’s the choice to make an egg wash to your dough as nicely earlier than baking. On this case, you’ll additionally want one egg and a couple of tablespoon of milk or cream.
Make Selfmade Pie Crust
This recipe ought to make sufficient pastry dough for 2 9-inch pie crusts. Let’s go over the 2 methods you could obtain the right, buttery pastry crust:
Meals Processor Technique (Quickest)
A meals processor is a godsend in terms of pastry making! Whereas not needed (see under for the choice to make use of a fork), it’s by far the quickest method to make dough.
Mix the Elements: Mix the flour and dry elements in a meals processor and pulse the combination for a number of seconds.
Pulse within the Butter: Add within the butter, then pulse once more till you attain a consistency that’s a bit like a paste. Add the remaining flour, then pulse as soon as extra till all the pieces is good and crumbly. Depart the dough within the meals processor for now.
End: Stir the apple cider vinegar right into a little bit of ice water, then spoon the combination into the dough, giving a number of quick pulses in between. Take away the dough and place on a clear workstation for rolling (see under for steering on rolling out the dough!).
Fork/ Pastry Cutter Technique
For those who don’t have a meals processor, don’t despair – you possibly can reduce within the butter the quaint method, with a fork! Right here’s the right way to make pie dough with a fork or pastry cutter as a substitute:
Mix the Elements: Combine the flour and dry elements collectively in a mixing bowl.
Minimize within the Butter: Minimize the butter cubes into the dough slightly at a time utilizing a fork or celebration cutter. Mash the combination till you could have a paste, similar to you’ll with a blender. Proceed slowly including within the flour whereas reducing by means of the dough, till it reaches a crumbly texture.
End: Add the vinegar and ice water into the dough the identical as you’ll with the blender technique, mashing the dough with a fork as a substitute of pulsing. As soon as the dough comes collectively, elevate it out and plop it onto your workstation.
Rolling the dough
As soon as your dough is made, it’s time to roll! You may roll your dough out the identical method, whatever the technique you used to make it.
Divide and Chill: Mound your dough right into a ball and reduce it in half, the shape each halves into discs. Give every disc a good layer of plastic wrap and pop them into the fridge. Goal to relax the dough for an hour on the very least, however you possibly can go away it in there till the subsequent day, too! Relating to pastry, chilly is vital.
Roll: Keep in mind to take your dough out of the fridge to heat up for a couple of minutes earlier than working it. Place a dough disc onto a floured floor and after which calmly roll it flat utilizing a rolling pin. You may roll out each disks, or save one to freeze!
Form: Gently press the flattened pie dough right into a pie plate. Subsequent, snip off the overhang, then brush the crust with egg wash. The egg is non-obligatory and received’t have an effect on the style or texture of the crust. It does give the crust a pleasant golden colour because it bakes, although!
Fill and Bake: Baking instances are inclined to fluctuate from recipe to recipe, so fill and bake your crust in line with your favourite pie recipe! In case your chosen recipe features a blind bake, see afterward on this publish for ideas!
Can I Make It Forward of Time?
You may completely make pie dough as much as 3 days forward of time to maintain within the fridge. Let it soften slightly at room temperature earlier than rolling, similar as you’ll have accomplished after chilling.
Alternatively, the dough is straightforward to make forward and freeze. You may even freeze dough as soon as it’s within the pie plate, unbaked or blind baked, for simple thawing, filling, and baking!
Wrap the completed dough tightly in plastic wrap and pop it into the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw utterly, then roll out, fill and/or bake as wanted.
Ideas for Success
Listed below are some ideas for getting the perfect outcomes out of your pie crust pastry making:
- Maintain It Chilled: Chilly butter, chilly water, chilly fridge… the title of the pastry making sport is chilly. A (not) scorching tip, however when you occur to dwell in a heat local weather, you possibly can even pop your butter into the freezer to ensure it’s chilly sufficient!
- Dice the Butter: That is essential for the fork technique, however nonetheless good observe for the meals processor! Cubed butter makes the dough come collectively faster, which is vital to maintain the butter from warming at room temperature too lengthy.
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff: I do know Pinterest could have you believing that an ideal pie seems to be excellent proper right down to the crust. However don’t fear an excessive amount of about getting a picture-ready pie proper off the bat! There’s a sure appeal to a country, selfmade pie. And when it comes right down to it, it’s what’s on the within that counts.
- No Must Grease: The great thing about a buttery pie crust is that there’s no have to grease your pie pan! The oils within the crust must be sufficient to maintain it from sticking. In fact, you possibly can all the time give the pan a fast spritz with cooking spray when you’re enjoying it further protected.
Blind Bake Pie Crust
Typically, a pie recipe we’re craving requires a “blind bake”. That is often a no-bake pie or tart, for instance, the place the uncooked pie crust would must be pre-baked beforehand – right here’s the right way to do it:
- Make the dough as ordinary, roll it out and place it right into a pie plate, and trim off the crust. Simple peasy.
- Use the tines of a fork to poke holes within the backside of the crust. This helps to maintain bubbles at bay.
- Chill the pie crust within the freezer for about half-hour to keep away from shrinkage because it bakes.
- Press a circle of parchment paper that’s about the identical dimension because the pie crust into the frozen pie crust, then pour in some dried beans. The beans act as a weight and maintain the crust in place whereas it bakes.
- Bake the crust for Quarter-hour, then take away the pie crust from the oven and take out the parchment paper and beans. Then, pop it again into the oven for one more 10-Quarter-hour or so till the crust turns into crisp and golden. For those who discover the crust is browning too shortly, cowl the crust with a pie protect or foil whereas it finishes baking!
Let’s Make Some Pie!
Now that you’ve your picture-perfect pie crust able to go, it’s time to fill it! Listed below are some straightforward pie recipes to do your handiwork justice. This pie will work with candy or savory fillings:
Extra Simple Crust & Dough Recipes
1 hour Quarter-hour
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided in half
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed, very chilled
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Egg Wash (non-obligatory)
- 1 egg, overwhelmed
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
Meals Processor Technique (Quickest)
- In a meals processor, mix half the flour, sugar and salt. Pulse for a number of seconds to evenly combine.
- Add the cubed butter to the meals processor. Cowl and pulse for 20 seconds for a paste to type. Add the remaining flour and pulse for a further 10 seconds or till the dough is a crumbly texture. Depart within the meals processor.
- In a small bowl, mix the ice water and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of the water and vinegar combine over the dough within the meals processor. Pulse for about three seconds. Add the remaining water and pulse 8 instances, about 1 second every pulse.
- Take away the dough from the meals processor and mound collectively on a clear floor.
Fork/ Pastry Cutter Technique (For those who don’t have a meals processor)
- In a big mixing bowl, mix half the flour, sugar and salt. Combine evenly.
- Add the cubed butter slightly at a time. Utilizing your fork or pastry cutter, mash the butter to include into the flour combination. Add in all of the butter and proceed to mash till a paste varieties. Slowly add within the remaining flour, when you proceed to chop by means of the dough together with your fork. Proceed till all of the flour is folded in and a crumbly texture seems.
- In a small bowl, mix the ice water and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of the water and vinegar combine over the dough within the bowl. Utilizing your fork, press into the dough. Add the remaining water and reduce the dough together with your fork till all is mixed and a dough is shaped.
- Take away the dough from the bowl and mound collectively on a clear floor.
Rolling the dough
- Type right into a ball after which divide in half with a pointy knife. Type into two discs and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at the very least 1 hour or as much as 24 hours. You might also place it within the freezer for future use.
- After chilling for at the very least 1 hour, take the dough discs out of the fridge and permit them to take a seat on the counter for roughly 5 – 10 minutes. This makes them simpler to work with.
- Flippantly flour your work floor and place one of many dough discs within the center. (Roll two for a double crust pie or save one within the freezer if solely doing a single pie crust. Flippantly flour each your rolling pin and the highest of the dough disc. Utilizing your rolling pin, calmly roll out your dough till about 1/eighth inch thick and about 13 inches in diameter. If the dough sticks, calmly add extra flour to your floor and rolling pin.
- Gently place the rolled dough onto a 9 inch pie plate, rigorously pushing into the underside of the plate.
- With a scissors or sharp knife, rigorously reduce off any overhanging dough if wanted. Leaving a half inch of dough. Form the sides of the dough to type a single crust.
- In a small dish, whisk collectively one egg and 1 tablespoon milk to type an egg wash. Flippantly brush over the dough earlier than baking.
- Observe the baking directions for each single and double crusts in your favourite pie recipe. (Baking instances will fluctuate by pie filling choice and recipe).
When planning to freeze, wrap tightly in an additional layer of plastic wrap or place the wrapped dough right into a plastic freezer bag. Chances are you’ll freeze dough for as much as three months. When prepared to make use of, thaw within the fridge in a single day.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 494Complete Fats: 34gSaturated Fats: 21gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 118mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
This publish could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.