Floor almonds and full-fat cottage cheese lend physique and taste to this delicate and creamy strawberry cheesecake from Asa Johansson, a gardener and author who lived on the Swedish island of Oland. For the Midsummer vacation, she served the cake with clouds of whipped cream and ripe berries.
Featured in: “A Midsummer’s Dream.“
Swedish-Fashion Strawberry Cheesecake
Floor almonds lend physique and taste to this skinny and creamy strawberry cheesecake from Asa Johansson, a gardener and author who lived on the Swedish island of Oland. For the Midsummer vacation, she served the cake with clouds of whipped cream and ripe berries.
Yield: serves 8
2 hours, half-hour
- ¾ cups sugar, divided
- 6 cups quartered strawberries
- ½ cups finely chopped contemporary mint
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- ¾ cups blanched almonds
- 2¼ cups cottage cheese, drained in a single day
- ¾ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cups entire milk
- ¼ all-purpose flour
- 3 giant eggs
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for serving
- In a big bowl, stir 1⁄3 cup sugar, the strawberries, and the mint; put aside to macerate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 3-quart oval baking dish with butter and set it apart.
- Pulse the remaining sugar and the almonds in a meals processor till finely floor. Add the cottage cheese, cream, milk, flour, and eggs and puree till easy, scraping down the edges of the bowl with a silicone spatula as wanted to mix. Pour the batter into the ready baking dish, then switch to the oven and bake till browned and barely puffed, 45–60 minutes.
- Cool the cake barely, then mud with confectioners’ sugar and serve with the reserved strawberries and whipped cream.