By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Shodhana and Ropana are the fifth and sixth types of remedy classes included in ‘Sapta Upakrama’ i.e. 7 kinds of therapies defined by Grasp Sushruta. They purpose at therapeutic and treating the ulcers, wounds and swelling associated to those situations and likewise to forestall the problems of the identical.
Learn – Sushruta’s 7 Kinds of Therapies Sapta Upakrama
Shodhana and Ropana
“Fifth of all shodhna ought to be completed and the sixth measure could be ropana”
Shodhana means cleaning. Ropana means Therapeutic. Each these teams of therapies are mentioned collectively.
13 remedy strategies from amongst the record of 60 therapies talked about below shashti upakrama are included below shodhana and ropana measures. They need to be selectively utilized by the surgeon in treating the ulcers and wounds as per their situation, manifestation and presentation.
Anyhow shodhana and ropana, although defined collectively, they’re talked about as separate therapies amongst the sapta upakrama. Shodhana and Ropana serve comparable function. The truth is ropana occurs after shodhana. Even after cleaning the ulcers and wounds with shodhana if they don’t heal correctly, the following measure i.e. ropana ought to be resorted to. Ropana can be individually thought-about in one other article.
Learn – Charaka Vrana Chikitsa – twenty fifth Chapter – Wounds, Ulcers
Primarily 13 therapies are included below shodhana and ropana from amongst the 60 therapies talked about in Shashti Upakrama.
|Sl No||Title of the Upakrama (remedy)||Which means|
|1||Sandhana||union of fractures|
|3||Shonita sthapana||stopping the bleeding, enabling correct circulation|
|4||Nirvapana||software and showering of chilly efficiency medicines|
|5||Utkarika||software of heat, semi-solid vata assuaging medicinal pastes to deal with wound irritation and necrosis of wounds|
|6||Kashaya||use of natural decoctions|
|7||Varti||use of suppositories|
|8||Kalka||software of natural pastes|
|9||Sarpi||use of medicated ghee|
|10||Taila||use of medicated oils|
|11||Rasakriya||administration of semi-solid medicinal extracts|
|12||Avachurnana||sprinkling of natural powders|
|13||Vrana Dhupana||fumigation of wounds|
Learn – Shashti Upakrama Which means, Classification, Medical Significance
1. Sandhana – union of fractures
Circumstances during which union must be completed – The identical situations defined within the context of seevana included in Patana group of therapies are relevant for union of fractures additionally. They’re –
- Apaka upadruta – ulcers not related to problems of suppuration
- Mamsa sthita – ulcers localized within the muscle mass
- Vivrta – open ulcers
2. Peedana – compression
Circumstances during which compression must be completed –
- Puya Garbha – having pus pockets (ulcers crammed and surrounded by pus)
- Anu dwaran – ulcers / wounds having small openings
- Marma gatan vranan – ulcers positioned on very important organs, tissues)
Learn how to compress the ulcers and wounds?
When these situations persist, paste of herbs used for compression is utilized over and across the ulcer in order that it’s compressed.
The natural paste utilized over the ulcer / wound is allowed to dry in place. When the opening of the ulcer / swelling are minute, the paste of herbs shouldn’t be utilized over the orifice. When the opening of the wound / ulcer / swelling isn’t coated the doshas (pus and so on) collected in them maintain draining because of the compression imparted on them by the medicinal paste.
Learn – Damage, Wound care Ayurvedic Cures, Medicines
3. Shonita Sthapana – stopping the bleeding
When extreme and uncontrolled bleeding happens resulting from procedures like bloodletting or in any other case, the bleeding ought to be instantly checked by administering the shonita sthapana vidhi i.e. measures for controlling the bleeding as defined within the earlier contexts (Su.Su.Ch14).
4 efficient strategies of checking extreme bleeding from ulcers / wounds are –
4. Nirvapana – software and showering of chilly efficiency medicines
Circumstances during which chilly efficiency medicines ought to be showered on the ulcers – Because of the extreme aggravation of pitta when the ulcer / wound will get related and stricken with burning sensation, suppuration and fever and vitiation of blood, the ulcers ought to be washed / showered / utilized with medicines having chilly efficiency.
‘The medicines used to pacify the ache and different signs related to the ulcers attributable to vitiated pitta and blood, which is within the means of getting suppurated, and related to fever are known as as nirvapana’.
Kinds of Nirvapana – Nirvapana is of two varieties. They’re
- Seka – showering the ulcers and wounds with medicinal liquids
- Lepa – anointment of the ulcers and wounds with medicinal paste
Learn how to do?
The herbs of chilly efficiency ought to be floor in milk, combined with ghee and utilized on the ulcer within the type of skinny paste. The identical drugs is used for showering the ulcer.
5. Utkarika – software of heat, semi-solid, vata assuaging medicinal pastes to deal with wound irritation and necrosis of wounds
Circumstances during which heat pastes is utilized on the ulcers / wounds –
- Kshina Mamsa – depleted and thinned out muscle mass within the neighborhood of ulcers
- Tanu srava – ulcers with skinny exudates
- Apaka vrana – ulcers which aren’t suppurating
- Toda – ulcers related to pricking ache
- Kathinya – hardness across the ulcers
- Parushya – roughness across the ulcers
- Shula – ulcers related to ache
- Vepathu – ulcers related to tremors
Learn how to do?
Bhadradarvadi group of herbs (herbs which treatment vitiated vata), Amla gana (bitter group of issues), Kakolyadi Gana group of herbs and oily seeds is processed to arrange heat paste which is semisolid and utilized on the stricken website in order to supply sudation. Sudation ought to be completed over the motionless, painful, foul smelling, decaying and slimy ulcers.
Learn – 4 Sorts Of Swedana As Per Sushruta And Vagbhata
6. Kashaya – use of natural decoctions
Shodhana Kashaya – Natural decoctions having ‘cleaning motion’ solely shall be used for this function. The aim is to result in cleaning the injuries and ulcers.
The under talked about herbs could also be thought-about for making ready the cleaning decoctions –
Circumstances during which cleaning natural decoctions ought to be administered in treating the ulcers and wounds –
- Antah shalyan, anu mukhan – ulcers having international object inside them and now have minute opening
- Gambhiran – deep seated ulcers
- Mamsa samshritan – ulcers positioned within the muscle mass
7, 8 Varti – suppositories and Kalka – natural pastes
Circumstances during which suppositories and natural pastes are administered for cleaning the injuries – The suppositories (wicks) and natural pastes are utilized in the identical situations and are ready with the identical herbs. Under talked about are the situations for his or her utilization –
- Puti mamsa pratichchannan – ulcers coated with decayed muscle mass
- Mahadosha – in extreme aggravation of doshas
Herbs that are used for cleaning functions are utilized in each these therapies.
Kalka – The natural pastes also needs to be ready utilizing the identical herbs with which the suppositories are ready. As many herbs out there shall be used. When utilizing the suppositories the skinny, thick, thicker and thickest kinds of wicks shall be utilized in that order in accordance with the ulcer being handled. The doctor / surgeon shall decide in order to during which situation the suppositories / wicks ought to be used and during which situations the pastes should be utilized.
Learn – Pakwashaya Shodhana Basti: Medicated Enemas For Colon Cleanse
9. Sarpi – use of medicated ghee
Circumstances during which medicated ghee ought to be used –
- Pitta pradushtan – ulcers contaminated by vitiated pitta
- Gambhiran – ulcers that are deep seated
- Daha paka prapiditan – ulcers troubled by (affiliation of) burning sensation and suppuration
When the above talked about situations prevail within the ulcers / wounds, cleaning ghee ready with cotton seeds (Gossypium herbaceum Linn) ought to be used.
10. Taila – use of medicated oil
Circumstances during which medicated oil should be used –
- Utsanna mamsan – elevated muscle mass across the wounds and ulcers
- Asnigdhan – dried out ulcers / wounds
- Alpa sravan – ulcers / wounds having much less (scanty) discharges
Ulcers related to the above talked about situations shall be cleansed utilizing sesame / mustard oil ready with herbs having cleaning property.
11. Rasakriya – semi-solid medicinal extracts
Circumstances during which semi strong natural extracts should be used –
- Tailena ashuddhyamananam – these ulcers / wounds which can’t be cleansed by administering cleaning oils
- Sthira mamsanam – stiff / unmovable muscle mass across the ulcers
Within the above situations of ulcers cleaning rasakriya (rasakriya ready with cleansing herbs).
Learn how to put together Rasakriya?
The herbs having cleansing properties are taken and their decoction is ready. This decoction is as soon as once more processed and added with alum, inexperienced vitriol, realgar and orpiment. Later this ought to be totally combined with juice of Citrus medica and honey. The resultant semi-solid preparation is named rasakriya. This ought to be administered / utilized for cleaning the injuries related to above talked about situations. This shall be used as soon as in three days.
Learn – Rasanjan Makes use of, Cures, Dose, Aspect Results, Analysis
12. Avachurnana – sprinkling / dusting of natural powders
Circumstances during which dusting of natural powders should be completed –
- Medo jushtan – ulcers attributable to vitiated fats (ulcers having fats)
- Agambhiran – ulcers which aren’t deep (superficial ulcers and wounds)
- Durgandhan – ulcers having foul odor
Learn how to do?
The positive powder ready from herbs having cleaning property (identical as these used to arrange varti – suppositories) is sprinkled / dusted on the ulcers and wounds with above talked about situations.
13. Vrana Dhupana – fumigation of ulcers
Circumstances during which fumigation of ulcers should be completed
- Vatatmakan – ulcers stricken by vitiated vata
- Ugra rujan – ulcers related to extreme ache
- Saasravan – ulcers related to discharges
For fumigation linen, barley, ghee and fumigation herbs Pinus roxburghii, Vateria indica and so on are used.
The above talked about measures of shodhana and ropana are helpful in cleaning and therapeutic the injuries and ulcers. Shodhana ought to be completed first and after the injuries have been cleansed correctly ropana ought to be resorted to for intensive and complete therapeutic of ulcers and wounds.
Shodhana, following the chronology ought to be completed after patana (excision and different set of surgical strategies). Following Ropana we have now Vaikrutapaha – the seventh amongst the Sapta Upakrama which contains of 26 therapies geared toward eradicating the deformities, problems and sequels of ulcers and wounds, a type of beauty rebuilding.
Ropana, as already talked about are defined within the stream by Grasp Sushruta instantly after having defined the measures of shodhana. He has not included it amongst the 60 therapies and therefore doesn’t get a quantity from amidst 1 to 60.
Shodhana measures defined above too are therapeutic in nature however since ropana measures have individually been highlighted by grasp Sushruta with out numbering it, we have to think about it as a separate remedy process. Anyhow it will get a quantity amongst the shad upakramas i.e. 6th among the many seven therapies which the identical creator has defined in sutra sthana chapter 17.
Click on to Seek the advice of Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu)