Piles of colourful carrot ribbons—which skew extra savory than candy, because of a lemony coriander-flecked dressing—high this tart from cookbook writer Stacy Adimando. The keys to the flaky crust: preserve the butter as chilly as attainable, and don’t overwork the dough. In case you can monitor down heirloom carrots in a wide range of hues, use them right here for pizzazz.
Shaved Carrot Tart with Ricotta
Colourful ribbons of lemon and coriander-speckled greens on a flaky and crusty flatbread
Yield: serves 8
1 hour, 25 minutes
For the dough:
- 2 all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. floor black pepper
- 12 tbsp. (6 oz.) unsalted butter, lower into ½-in. cubes, chilled
For the topping:
- 2 cups ricotta
- ½ cups extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- Pinch finely grated lemon zest
- 10 medium carrots with greens connected (1½ lb.)
- ½ cups recent lemon juice (from about 4 lemons)
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. coriander seeds, coarsely floor
- ½ tsp. floor caraway seeds
- Torn cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Flaky salt, for garnish
- Make the dough: Fill a small bowl with ice water and put aside. To the work bowl of a meals processor, add the flour, salt, and black pepper, and pulse to mix. Scatter over the butter and course of till you will have pea-size clumps, 10–15 pulses. Pour 2 tablespoons of the ice water by way of the feed tube and pulse 2–4 occasions to include. Add further ice water by the tablespoon as wanted till the dough holds collectively when pinched, about 8 tablespoons complete.
- Flip the dough onto a clear work floor and kind right into a ball. Wrap in plastic, then press right into a 1-inch-thick sq.. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or as much as 2 days.
- Make the topping: To the bowl of a meals processor, add the ricotta, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and lemon zest, and course of till easy. If the combination seems dry, add as much as 1 tablespoon extra olive oil. Cowl and refrigerate.
- Minimize off the carrot greens, wash them totally beneath chilly water to take away any grit, and put aside 2 tablespoons of the leaves for garnish (reserve the remaining greens for one more use). Utilizing a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots (discard the peels), then use the peeler to slice them into thick ribbons. If utilizing numerous colours, separate by hue; put aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively the lemon juice, coriander, caraway, remaining oil, and remaining salt; put aside.
- Place a rack within the high third of the oven and preheat to 400°F. On a floured floor, roll the dough right into a 11-by-16-inch rectangle. Use a knife to sq. off the sides if desired. Switch to a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate till agency, about 10 minutes. Utilizing a spoon or offset spatula, unfold the ricotta combination evenly over the crust, leaving a ½-inch border. Utilizing a pastry brush, moisten the sides flippantly with olive oil. Switch to the oven and bake till the crust is flippantly golden, 16–18 minutes.
- Take away the tart from the oven. To the bowl with the dressing, add one quarter of the carrot ribbons and toss to coat, squeezing flippantly to permit any extra liquid to drip again into the bowl. Pile the carrots atop one quadrant of the ricotta, and repeat with the remaining carrots. (For an ombré impact, overlap the colours barely). Reserve any remaining dressing.
- Return the tart to the oven and bake, rotating the pan midway by way of cooking, till the crust is golden brown, 10–12 minutes extra. Drizzle the carrots with the reserved dressing. Sprinkle with the cilantro, reserved carrot leaves, and flaky salt. Minimize into slices and serve heat or at room temperature.