Smoky pink Kashmiri chile powder and wealthy ghee are the foundations of this recipe from Ahdoo’s Lodge in Srinagar, Kashmir. Cooked for weddings and different auspicious events, the Kashmiri feast wazwan can embody as much as 36 dishes, usually together with these tender lamb shanks. The cooks who put together the banquet are supervised by a wouste waze, or grasp chef, schooled within the artwork of this meat-centric meal. This rogan josh recipe first appeared within the pill version of our August/September 2014 particular India challenge.
Rogan Josh (Kashmiri Chile–Braised Lamb)
Smoky pink Kashmiri chile powder and wealthy ghee are the foundations of the sauce for tender lamb shanks on this traditional Indian dish.
Yield: serves 4
- 1½ tbsp. Kashmiri chile powder
- 2 tsp. floor fennel seeds
- 2 tsp. floor ginger
- 1 tsp. asafoetida
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 8 inexperienced cardamom pods
- 2 blades of mace, or 1 tsp. floor
- 1 stick cinnamon, halved
- ⅓ cups ghee
- 5 black cardamom pods, cracked with the heel of a knife or mortar and pestle
- 4 lamb shanks, halved crosswise (ask your butcher to do that)
- Kosher salt, to style
- ¼ tsp. crushed saffron threads
- 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped cilantro
- Cooked white rice or naan bread, for serving (elective)
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the Kashmiri chile, fennel, ginger, asafoetida, and ½ cup water to make a paste. In a spice grinder, grind the cumin, inexperienced cardamom, mace, and cinnamon right into a powder.
- To a big Dutch oven set over medium-high warmth, add the ghee and black cardamom and cook dinner till aromatic, 1–2 minutes. Season the lamb generously with salt and, working in batches, fry it within the ghee, turning a few times, till browned, 5–7 minutes. Stir within the saffron, reserved paste, and a pair of cups of water. When the liquid boils, flip the warmth to medium-low, cowl, and cook dinner, stirring often, till the lamb is tender, about 55 minutes. Stir within the reserved spice powder, cowl, and cook dinner, stirring often, till the lamb could be very tender, 40–45 minutes. Garnish with the cilantro, and serve.