Is there something that browned butter doesn’t flip into pure magic? Candy, caramelized Browned Butter Filling in a fragile, selfmade Pâte Sucrée is the proper juxtaposition to the tangy rhubarb in these tartlets.
Rhubarb and Browned Butter Tartlets
- Pâte Sucrée (recipe follows)
- Browned Butter Filling (recipe follows)
- 2 cups (200 grams) thinly sliced rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a frivolously floured floor, divide Pâte Sucrée into 12 equal parts. Roll every bit right into a 4-inch circle. Switch dough to 12 (2½-inch) tart pans, urgent into backside and up sides. Trim extra dough. Switch tart shells to ready pan, and freeze for half-hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spoon 2 tablespoons Browned Butter Filling into every ready tart shell. Shingle sliced rhubarb on high of filling, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake till filling is ready and crust is golden brown, 18 to twenty minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes earlier than rigorously eradicating.
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons (155 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 giant egg (50 grams)
- 2¼ cups (227 grams) pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and zest at medium velocity till creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg. Add flour and salt, beating simply till combination comes collectively. Form dough right into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Browned Butter Filling
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ vanilla bean, cut up lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 giant eggs (100 grams)
- In a medium saucepan, warmth butter and vanilla bean and reserved seeds over medium warmth. Cook dinner till butter turns a deep amber colour and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Take away from warmth.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively sugar, flour, and eggs. Take away vanilla bean from saucepan; slowly drizzle scorching butter combination into egg combination, whisking always. Let cool to room temperature. As soon as combination is cool, whisk as soon as extra earlier than transferring to an hermetic container. Refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours.