Prep 5 minutes
Prepare dinner 10 minutes
Whole 15 minutes
These simple Maduros (Candy Plantains) are a staple Puerto Rican facet dish that solely want two elements. They’re completely candy, caramelized alongside the surface and deliciously heat on the within!
The Most Scrumptious Maduros Recipe
With crispy candy caramelized outsides and comfortable ripe plantain facilities, maduros are considered one of my favourite methods to get pleasure from plantains. Rising up in Puerto Rico we had maduros with nearly each meal. I all the time appeared ahead to these candy little bites and would save them for the top of the meal like a dessert. Now my youngsters do the very same factor!
Plantains are to Puerto Ricans like potatoes are to Individuals. We fry them when they’re nonetheless inexperienced to make tostones, we mash them to make mofongo, we slice them thinly and fry them to create plantain chips, and we pan fry them in butter as soon as ripe to make maduros.
Maduros are extremely simple to make, the toughest half is ready for the plantains to ripen! However don’t fear, I gave you some suggestions beneath on methods to assist velocity up the ripening course of. As soon as the plantains are ripe, all you want to do is fry them in just a little butter to create maduros!
Maduros (Candy Plantains) Recipe Substances
In terms of easy facet dishes, these plantains are nearly as good because it will get. You don’t want a lot to make one of the best fried plantains. They’re extremely simple to make with simply 2 elements!
- Plantains: You’ll need your plantains to be tremendous ripe for this dish. The blacker, the higher.
What’s the Distinction Between Plantains and Bananas?
Whereas they give the impression of being comparable, there are fairly just a few variations between the 2!
- Dimension: Plantains are typically bigger than bananas and are tougher in texture.
- Sweetness: Bananas are candy when uncooked or cooked, whereas plantains will not be eaten uncooked and have to be cooked. Plantains have a little bit of a drier & starchier texture, however they develop into tremendous comfortable, candy and scrumptious as soon as they’re left to ripen (the surface will flip black) and you then cook dinner them!
- Pores and skin: Plantains have a more durable exterior than bananas do, they usually’re normally barely much less curved.
How To Ripen Plantains
Did you purchase some inexperienced plantains on the retailer and they’re taking eternally to ripen? Listed here are a few frequent methods to hurry up the ripening course of:
- Naturally: To permit plantains to ripen naturally, merely permit the plantains to take a seat undisturbed at room temperature for every week or two, till the outsides are good and blackened.
- Brown Paper Bag: To hurry up the method, you’ll be able to place your plantains in a brown paper bag (or wrapped in newspaper). This methodology permits for the ethylene gasoline created by the plantains to assist ripen the fruit. After I do that methodology, my plantains are normally prepared in 4 to five days, relying on how ripe your plantains are to begin with.
- Raw Rice: That is one other frequent methodology to assist ripen plantains. Burying plantains in raw rice additionally helps to entice ethylene gasoline which accelerates the ripening course of. This methodology takes about the identical period of time as a brown paper bag, roughly 4 to five days, relying on how ripe your plantains are to begin with.
- Microwave: I don’t suggest this methodology. I discover microwaving the plantains to solely assist to melt them, however they aren’t as candy as really ripened plantains.
How one can Fry Candy Plantains
- Soften Butter: In a non-stick skillet over medium warmth, soften your butter.
- Prepare dinner Plantains: Add plantains in a single layer (you’ll have to do a number of batches). Prepare dinner plantains on either side, for about 2-3 minutes, or till they attain a caramelized brown shade.
- Serve: Switch to a plate lined with newspaper or paper towels and permit them to empty for a minute or two. Serve and luxuriate in!
Suggestions for the Finest Maduros
- Be Certain to Use Ripe Plantains: Your plantains received’t crystallize sufficient in the event that they’re not ripe. They’re finest when the outsides are darkish with a number of black spots! In case you’re apprehensive your plantains aren’t ripe sufficient, you’ll be able to sprinkle some sugar on them whereas they cook dinner, however it’s best to attend till they’re ripe.
- Fry in Garlic for Added Taste: If you wish to make your plantains a bit extra savory, substitute the butter for 1/4 cup of olive oil and a pair teaspoons of minced garlic. You can too sprinkle them with coarse sea salt for a candy and savory delight.
- Eat Heat: Get pleasure from your Tostones as quickly as they’re finished draining in your paper.
- Slice Them At An Angle: It’s essential to slice them at an angle, as proven within the photographs, for them to get the correct quantity of barely crispy outsides.
- Crema/Cotija Cheese: You can too drizzle them with just a little crema and/or crumbled cotija cheese earlier than serving. This isn’t conventional, however I’ve had it at many up scale eating places and it’s scrumptious.
What to Serve with Fried Plantains
- Pork: Pork and plantains go insanely nicely collectively. Serve your candy plantains with our favourite Pernil recipe, or for a extra cuban flare, we love this Sluggish Cooker Ropa Vieja!
- Rice: Puerto Rican Arroz Con Gandules (rice with pigeon peas) is all the time a terrific facet so as to add on with these maduros. Or some arroz con pollo is one other nice traditional pairing.
- Beans: Serve your fried candy plantains with black beans for a scrumptious candy and savory combo. Whereas they’re extra Mexican,
- Coquito: And naturally, if it’s the vacation season, we extremely suggest you serve each Puerto Rican dish with a glass of Coquito.
How one can Retailer Leftovers
Retailer any leftover Maduros in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days. One of the simplest ways to reheat them is within the toaster oven or microwave. Within the toaster oven or air fryer, you have got a greater probability of the surface staying just a little crisp!
Prepare dinner Time
- 2 overly ripe (black) plantains, peeled and sliced into 1-inch items
- 4 tablespoons butter
- **Salt, non-obligatory garnish
- In a non-stick skillet over medium warmth, soften butter.
- Add plantains in a single layer (you’ll have to do a number of batches). Prepare dinner plantains on either side, for about 2-3 minutes, or till they attain a caramelized brown shade.
- Switch to a plate lined with newspaper (or paper towels) and permit to empty for a minute or two. Then serve!
**A bit pinch of salt sprinkeld on high makes the flavors pop! Attempt them each methods to see which you favor, with or with out salt.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 102Whole Fats: 12gSaturated Fats: 7gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 3gLdl cholesterol: 31mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 13gProtein: 1.2g
Wanting For Extra Latin Recipes?
Listed here are just a few of our favorites:
This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.