These peanut butter stuffed brownie cookies are gentle and fudge-like with a creamy peanut butter ripple swirled all through. The brownie dough makes use of melted chocolate AND cocoa powder for additional chocolate taste and the peanut butter filling requires simply 2 components. Warning: these are fairly indulgent!
Generally you simply want a cookie. Final month it was my mission to bake some form of stuffed peanut butter/chocolate cookie creation. I’ve recipes for each peanut butter swirl brownies and peanut butter stuffed brownies (and pb cup stuffed chocolate cookies in my cookbook) and questioned if this was actually even needed…
However then I got here to my senses as a result of (good day!?) a cookie is at all times needed. The check batches garnered rave opinions, so I knew this recipe needed to be printed ASAP.
These Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownie Cookies Are:
- Candy and chewy like a brownie
- Shiny and crackly on high
- Unapologetically wealthy and indulgent
- Stuffed and marbled with a gentle peanut butter filling like the within of peanut butter balls and peanut butter Easter eggs (so good!!)
The complete printable recipe is under, however let me level out some issues to know earlier than you get began.
Peanut Butter Filling
The very first thing you’re going to do is make the peanut butter filling utilizing equal elements confectioners’ sugar and peanut butter. Stir them collectively (no want for a mixer) till mixed after which roll into teaspoon-size balls as greatest you possibly can. Just like the filling from these cream cheese pink velvet cookies (what a mouthful), the peanut butter filling should be extraordinarily chilly. Chill the peanut butter filling within the freezer for not less than 1 hour as you make and chill the cookie dough.
- Can I exploit pure peanut butter? Sure. It doesn’t unfold as a lot within the oven, so the cookies with pure peanut butter have been a bit extra lumpy, however nonetheless tasted nice! I used creamy unsalted pure peanut butter that had been within the fridge, and it took a bit of bit extra arm muscle and time to stir the confectioners’ sugar into it (in contrast with the standard peanut butter), nevertheless it did clean out—simply maintain at it.
- Can I exploit a peanut butter different? Sure. For nut-free options, you should utilize Biscoff cookie butter or sunflower seed butter unfold. My group and I’ve not examined this recipe with almond butter, however I don’t see any subject utilizing that as an alternative.
Brownie Cookie Dough Components
Now that the peanut butter balls are within the freezer, you can begin the brownie cookie dough. Have you ever ever made my brownie cookies earlier than? They’re a success every time I make them and also you may love them much more marbled with peanut butter. A couple of key components you want embody cocoa powder, brown & white sugars, eggs, room temperature butter, flour, espresso powder, and chocolate.
Espresso powder is optionally available for a deeper chocolate taste. In the event you don’t have it, simply skip it.
Success Tip: Finest Chocolate to Use
Since many of the cookie’s chocolate taste comes from melted chocolate, don’t reduce corners. Use pure chocolate baking bars equivalent to Ghirardelli (not affiliated, simply love their chocolate). Yow will discover them proper subsequent to the chocolate chips within the baking aisle. They’re sometimes bought in 4 ounce bars and also you want 8 ounces for this recipe.
- I exploit and advocate semi-sweet chocolate, however you should utilize bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate for a a lot darker taste. Within the pictured cookies, I used 4 ounces semi-sweet and 4 ounces bittersweet.
The cookie dough is virtually brownie batter, so it wants to relax within the fridge for 1 hour earlier than you possibly can form it with the peanut butter filling. Very sticky earlier than chilling:
Look how a lot it solidifies after 1 hour within the fridge. That is precisely what you need:
Let’s Form These Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownie Cookies
Utilizing a Tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out a heaping mound of the brownie cookie dough. Will probably be fairly arduous after chilling, however will soften up in your fingers as you roll it. (I don’t advocate utilizing a cookie scoop for this dough as a result of the dough is just too arduous and sticky. I attempted it and my cookie scoop went on strike.) Now the precise marbling/shaping course of:
- Roll the dough in your fingers to make a ball after which press your thumb into the ball as in case you have been making a thumbprint cookie.
- Press a peanut butter ball into the indentation and break off a small piece of the brownie dough.
- Smush (sure, that’s the technical time period) the piece of brownie cookie dough you’d taken away again on high of the peanut butter filling.
- Mildew all of it collectively as you reroll it right into a ball. It is going to look a bit of marbled.
YOUR HANDS WILL GET MESSY on this course of, truthful warning.
Each cookie will look totally different, which solely provides to their alluring attraction. 🙂
3 Remaining Success Ideas
- Don’t overthink the shaping step. The marbling/swirling doesn’t must be good. In truth, it’s enjoyable that each single cookie appears totally different!
- Form only some at a time. The peanut butter filling softens up extraordinarily rapidly after you’re taking it out of the freezer, and rapidly turns into softer than the brownie cookie dough. I like to recommend taking about 6 peanut butter balls out of the freezer at a time, leaving the remaining within the freezer when you’re shaping the primary bunch.
- Clear-ish fingers. Wipe or wash your fingers clear after you form just a few cookies. As soon as your fingers are actually messy, the dough turns into unworkable. I normally form 6, clean up my fingers, form one other 6, and so forth.
Take wealthy and chewy brownie cookies to the subsequent degree with a creamy peanut butter swirl! Each the peanut butter filling and cookie dough should chill earlier than shaping. Overview shaping success ideas above the recipe.
Peanut Butter Filling
- Make the peanut butter filling: In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar collectively till mixed and clean. You’ll be able to simply use a spoon for this. Combination is thick, but gentle. With a teaspoon, scoop out a spoonful of peanut butter combination (about 6g), and roll right into a ball. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, plate, or tray. Repeat with remaining combination till you may have 24 peanut butter balls. Loosely cowl and freeze for not less than 1 hour and as much as 1 day. (I normally simply freeze them for a bit of over 1 hour, which is the period of time it takes to make and chill the brownie cookie dough.)
- Make the brownie cookie dough: Soften the chocolate in a double boiler or use the microwave. Microwave in 20-second increments, stirring after every till fully melted. Put aside to barely cool.
- In the meantime, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt collectively. Put aside. In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar collectively on medium-high velocity till clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat on excessive velocity for two full minutes. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl, then beat on excessive for 1 extra minute. Pour within the barely cooled melted chocolate and blend on medium-high velocity for two full minutes. Pour the dry components into the moist components and beat on low velocity till mixed.
- Cowl and chill the dough within the fridge for 1 hour. If chilling for longer, permit the cookie dough to take a seat at room temperature for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than rolling and shaping in step 6.
- After chilling, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Form the cookies: The peanut butter filling softens up extraordinarily rapidly after you’re taking it out of the freezer. I like to recommend taking about 6 peanut butter balls out of the freezer at a time, leaving the remaining within the freezer when you’re shaping the primary bunch. Utilizing a sturdy tablespoon, scoop out a heaping spoonful of the cookie dough and roll right into a ball, about 1.5 Tablespoons/30g/1 ounce of dough every. The dough will probably be fairly stiff. Make an indentation along with your thumb, and place a frozen peanut butter ball within the indentation. Pinch off a bit of the brownie cookie dough and press it on high of the peanut butter filling, after which roll the entire thing collectively right into a clean ball. Be happy to tug off items of brownie dough to reveal extra peanut butter after which re-roll collectively. Repeat with remaining cookie dough and peanut butter balls. (Warning: your fingers get messy on this step!)
- Place dough balls 3 inches aside on the baking sheets and bake for 12-13 minutes or till the perimeters seem set. The facilities will probably be fairly gentle, however will arrange because the cookies cool.
- Take away from the oven and permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for 10 minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill fully.
- Cookies keep recent coated at room temperature for as much as 1 week.
- Make Forward Directions: Baked cookies freeze effectively for as much as 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze effectively for as much as 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an additional minute, no have to thaw. Cookies received’t unfold as a lot if dough balls have been frozen, so about midway by bake-time, gently press down on the baking cookies with a spoon to assist get them to unfold. Be taught a few of my greatest practices for Find out how to Freeze Cookie Dough.
- Peanut Butter: On the time of publication, there’s a recall on Jif peanut butters. Please contemplate researching the recall info and use one other model of peanut butter on this recipe. We examined it with Skippy Creamy, Justin’s Pure Creamy, and Wegmans model Pure Creamy. If utilizing pure and the oil has separated to the highest of the jar, be sure you stir it effectively earlier than measuring. Room temperature peanut butter is best to combine. I don’t advocate crunchy peanut butter as a result of it doesn’t combine very simply with the confectioners’ sugar.
- Peanut Butter Options: For a nut-free different, you should utilize Biscoff cookie butter or sunflower seed butter unfold. My group and I’ve not examined this recipe with almond butter, however I don’t see any subject utilizing that as an alternative!
- Chocolate: Use pure chocolate baking bars. Yow will discover them proper subsequent to the chocolate chips within the baking aisle. They’re bought in 4 ounce bars, so that you’ll want 2. I exploit and advocate semi-sweet chocolate, however you should utilize bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate (or a mixture of any) for a darker chocolate taste.
- Espresso Powder: Espresso powder deepens the chocolate taste. You’ll be able to skip it or use 2 teaspoons of on the spot espresso powder as an alternative.
Key phrases: peanut butter brownie cookies
Find out how to Be a part of the June Sally’s Baking Problem
We don’t normally have a cookie recipe as a Sally’s Baking Problem, so that is one thing enjoyable for June! Make peanut butter stuffed brownie cookies as directed. (You need to use a peanut butter different as directed within the Notes if wanted.) In the event you aren’t into this recipe, right here is the alternate baking problem recipe:
After you make the cookies or alternate recipe, electronic mail us your recipe photograph. For a bonus entry, depart a assessment on the recipe under.
By emailing your recipe photograph to us, you’re routinely entered within the baking problem. 1 winner receives a $250 Amazon Present Card. The problem is open to the entire world. Problem ends on June thirtieth at 5pm Jap. The winner will probably be chosen at random, emailed the prize, and posted within the July Baking Problem weblog publish on July 1st.
Go to the Sally’s Baking Problem web page when you’ve got any questions on Sally’s Baking Problem.