Neglect the candy and custardy lemon curd you thought you knew—this bittersweet and faintly smoky condiment is one other factor fully. Tailored from the cookbook Retour de pêche by Tanguy Thomassin and Adele Grunberger, this savory curd is served as a uncooked bar topping on the Oyster Membership in each Paris and Brittany. Its pithy and charred bitter notes shine brightly when swirled into briny oyster liquor.
Oysters with Griddled Lemon “Curd”
Transfer over, mignonette.
Yield: makes 1/2 cup
- 2 massive lemons, reduce in 8 wedges per lemon
- 1 tbsp. coarsely chopped basil leaves (3 massive leaves)
- 1⁄4 tsp. olive oil
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 2 dozen oysters
- To a big, nonreactive skillet set over medium-high warmth, add the olive oil. When the oil is sizzling, add the lemon slices, basil, and a pinch of black pepper, stirring to coat the lemon wedges within the oil. Cook dinner, turning the lemons as soon as, till they begin to scent candy, and switch a deep golden brown on each side, about 8 minutes. Switch the contents of the skillet to a blender or a mortar pestle, and course of right into a fantastic paste. Set a fantastic mesh strainer over a small bowl, then use a bowl scraper or silicone spatula to power the lemon paste via to make a really clean curd. Cowl and switch to the fridge till chilled or as much as 5 days.
- Shuck the oysters, reserving as a lot of their liquor as doable. Switch to a platter of crushed ice, prime every of the oysters with a small dollop of the chilled lemon curd, and serve instantly.
Extra Uncooked Oyster Recipes