Orange and Coconut are the right pair on this mild and luscious Orange Coconut Layer Cake. It the right dessert for spring and summer time!
Shredded coconut is folded into our home made orange cake batter and baked into fluffy, moist layers which have the right stability of citrus and candy coconut taste.
We paired the orange coconut cake layers with a lightweight whipped coconut cream cheese filling and frosting, after which lined all the cake with a layer of shredded coconut.
This taste mixture is heavenly. We hope that you just benefit from the recipe!
Easy methods to Make Orange Coconut Cake
This orange coconut cake is predicated partly on our scratch Orange Vanilla Bean Cake recipe, however with a couple of adjustments together with the addition of shredded coconut and coconut extract. It’s so flavorful!
You could find the total, printable cake recipe additional down on this publish, however here’s a fast have a look at our steps.
- Preheat the oven to 325 levels, grease and flour three 8 inch x 2 inch spherical cake pans. I additionally wish to line my pans with circles of parchment or wax paper.
- Mix Flour, Leavening and Zest: In a medium sized bowl, add the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Whisk to mix for 30 seconds. Put aside.
- Bitter Cream Combination: In one other bowl or measuring cup, mix the bitter cream, milk, orange juice focus (thawed), coconut extract, and orange extract.
- Butter and Sugar: Within the bowl of your mixer, beat the softened butter till clean. Progressively add the sugar and beat on medium velocity for 3-5 minutes till fluffy and lightened in coloration.
- Eggs: Add the room temperature eggs one after the other, mixing till the yellow of the yolk disappears.
- Alternating Additions of Dry and Moist Components: With the mixer on low velocity, add the flour combination and the bitter cream combination alternately, starting and ending with the flour combination (3 additions of dry elements, 2 of moist). Add the drops of coloring gel at the moment additionally if you’re tinting the batter.
- Cautious to not Over-mix: Barely enhance velocity and blend batter simply till mixed, don’t combine above medium velocity or over-mix.
- Shredded Coconut: Fold within the shredded sweetened coconut.
Fill the Pans: Divide the orange coconut cake batter between the three ready 8 inch spherical cake pans. The batter is fairly thick.
Bake at 325 levels for 28-Half-hour or till a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear or with just some crumbs hooked up.
**Examine in your desserts as you strategy the top time, bake occasions might differ. Let the desserts cool 5-10 minutes, then flip them out.
Scrumptious Coconut Fillings and Frostings
There are a number of filling and frosting choices that might be scrumptious with this Orange Coconut Cake. As a result of orange is the predominant taste with the cake layers, we determined to go along with a coconut filling and frosting.
You possibly can use a coconut buttercream (our traditional vanilla buttercream with 1-2 teaspoons coconut extract added), a filling of coconut whipped cream (our sweetened whipped cream with coconut extract to style), seven minute frosting with coconut extract to style, the coconut pastry cream filling from our coconut cream cake, and extra!
Right now we determined to go along with considered one of our favorites- Whipped Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting (also called Coconut Chantilly Cream- it’s just like the cream from our Berry Chantilly Cake).
This flavorful, gentle filling and frosting has the lightness of freshly whipped cream however with a bit extra stability from the cream cheese within the recipe.
We love the mix of the sweetened cream and coconut taste with the sunshine tanginess from the cream cheese frosting.
Easy methods to Make Coconut Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
To organize the recipe, mix the marginally softened cream cheese with confectioners sugar, coconut extract, and vanilla extract.
In one other chilled bowl, and utilizing chilled beaters if utilizing a hand mixer or a calming whisk attachment if utilizing a stand mixer, whip up your heavy cream till stiff peaks type.
Then fold the cream cheese combination gently into the whipped cream combination. That’s it! You’re going to need to dive proper into the bowl- it’s so scrumptious.
Assembling the Orange Coconut Cake
Now it’s time to place our Orange Coconut Cake collectively!
Place the primary cake layer on the cake plate or pedestal. Unfold with a layer of frosting. (You don’t must take the filling all the best way to the sting of the layer, as it is going to barely push out when the opposite layers are stacked.)
*Elective: You possibly can add a sprinkling of shredded coconut excessive of the filling when you’d like- that is non-obligatory as there may be already coconut within the batter and on the surface of the cake.
Add the second orange coconut cake layer and unfold with filling, adopted by the third cake layer. Fill in any gaps between the cake layers with coconut frosting after which crumb coat the cake (skinny coat).
When you’ve unfold on the frosting, you’ll be able to take away the surplus with an offset spatula or bench scraper.
I at all times chill my desserts after crumb coating to agency the whole lot again up once more. This can be a softer frosting and so you could discover this useful.
I freeze my crammed, crumb coated desserts for about 10-Quarter-hour earlier than making use of the ultimate coat of frosting (you might refrigerate for a bit longer as an alternative of freezing when you’d fairly). You possibly can refrigerate the bowl of frosting throughout this time additionally.
Apply the ultimate layer of frosting, press sweetened coconut everywhere in the exterior, and it’s completed! I topped mine with a little bit of orange zest and a skinny, spherical orange slice which I twisted in order that it might barely get up.
What’s the Distinction between Sweetened Coconut and Unsweetened?
We like to make use of sweetened coconut in our cake recipes as a result of it not solely provides a pleasant sweetness, however it’s also moister and softer than from-the-bag unsweetened shredded coconut.
We use Bakers Angel Flake Coconut most frequently however there are numerous choices!
Thawed, frozen coconut is an effective different as effectively. Regardless that it’s normally not sweetened, it has a softer texture than unsweetened, bagged coconut and is shut in texture to freshly grated coconut.
Extra Coconut Desserts to Share!
We love coconut desserts! There are a lot of scrumptious recipes in our Recipes part that function coconut.
Some are “plain coconut desserts” whereas others, like in the present day’s cake, function favourite taste pairings. Listed below are just some of them, we hope that you just’ll put these in your must-bake checklist!
Benefit from the Recipe!
Thanks a lot for stopping by in the present day. We hope that you just benefit from the recipe. For those who give this cake a strive, ensure that to go away a remark and picture under. We might love to listen to your suggestions!
This moist Orange Coconut Cake is bursting with citrus and coconut taste. It’s the good dessert for spring and summer time celebrations!
- 2 Sticks (226 g) unsalted butter, barely softened
- 2 cups (400 g) sugar
- 3 giant eggs, room temperature (you’ll be able to add to heat water to carry to room temp)
- 1 cup (242 g) bitter cream (we use full fats)
- 1/3 cup (81g) milk (we use complete milk)
- 3/4 cup (190g) frozen orange juice focus, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6g) coconut extract
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (14g) Orange Extract (we used McCormick model)
- 3 cups (342 g) cake flour *See substitution under
- 3 teaspoons (12g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (4g) salt
- zest of 1 orange
- Orange Coloring Gel (non-obligatory. We used a small quantity.)
- 3/4 cup (59g) Shredded Sweetened Coconut (we like Bakers Angel Flake Coconut)
For the Whipped Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Two 8 ounce (423g complete weight) packages cream cheese, barely softened. It have to be full fats, not lowered fats or cream cheese in a bath, these are too gentle.
- 2 cups (230g) powdered sugar, measure then sift
- 1 teaspoons (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6g) coconut extract
- 3 cups (696g heavy whipping cream
- We used further coconut for the surface of the cake. (For the coconut within the batter plus coconut for adornment, we used a 14 oz bag of Baker’s Angel Flake Coconut)
- Skinny slice of orange on high in addition to a lightweight dusting of orange zest
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 levels, grease and flour three 8 inch x 2 inch spherical cake pans. I additionally wish to line my pans with circles of parchment or wax paper. (You possibly can use 2 cake pans for barely thicker layers when you would fairly, however we like the extra layer filling.)
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Whisk to mix for 30 seconds. Put aside.
- In one other bowl or measuring cup, mix the bitter cream, milk, orange juice focus (thawed), coconut extract, and orange extract.
- Within the bowl of your mixer, beat the softened butter till clean. Progressively add the sugar and beat on medium velocity for 3-5 minutes till fluffy and lightened in coloration.
- Add the eggs one after the other, mixing till the yellow of the yolk disappears.
- With the mixer on low velocity, add the flour combination and the bitter cream combination alternately, starting and ending with the flour combination (3 additions of dry elements, 2 of moist). Add the drops of coloring gel at the moment additionally if you’re tinting the batter.
- Barely enhance velocity and blend batter simply till mixed, don’t combine above medium velocity or over-mix.
- Fold within the shredded coconut.
- Divide the batter between the three ready 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 levels for 28-Half-hour or till a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear or with just some crumbs hooked up. **Examine in your desserts as you strategy the top time, bake occasions might differ. Let the desserts cool 5-10 minutes, then prove.
For the Whipped Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- We like to arrange the frosting when the layers are baked, cooled, and able to be frosted.
- Freeze your mixing bowl and beaters/whisk attachment Quarter-hour earlier than whipping the cream (Half-hour if chilling within the fridge).
- Use the whisk attachment for a stand mixer, beaters in your hand mixer. Beat the cream till stiff peaks type. This may occur in a short time and so do not stroll away from the mixer. You’re on the stiff peak stage whenever you elevate the beater and the cream stands straight up forming a peak. Preserve within the fridge whereas finishing the following step.
- In one other bowl mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and coconut extract. Combine till very clean.
- Gently fold the cream cheese combination into the whipped cream. This frosting ought to be refrigerated. If it turns into too gentle while you’re adorning the cake, chill within the fridge or freezer for 10 minutes or so to achieve a extra workable consistency.
Assembling the Cake
- Place orange coconut cake layer on cake plate or pedestal.
- Frost with a layer of the Coconut Frosting. I do not take the filling all the best way to the sting as it’s extra prone to push out when the .layers are stacked. Simply take the filling as much as about 1/4-1/2 inch from the sting of the cake . (*If you want much more coconut, you’ll be able to sprinkle some shredded coconut over this layer of filling. )
- Apply second cake layer and repeat. Apply third cake layer and crumb coat the cake with the coconut frosting.
- If it appears very gentle, you’ll be able to chill the crammed cake for about 10-Quarter-hour within the freezer to agency issues up. You possibly can refrigerate the bowl of frosting at the moment additionally if wanted. Then, apply remaining coat of frosting and press shredded coconut everywhere in the cake.
- Embellish nevertheless your like! I stored issues easy and sprinkled the highest with orange zest and positioned a skinny round orange slice on high that was sliced midway up and twisted in order that it stood upright.
Substitution for Cake Flour: In case you have no cake flour, here’s a substitution: For every cup of flour in a recipe, take away 2 Tablespoons of flour and change with 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour within the UK). This recipe has 3 cups of flour so you’ll measure out 3 cups of all goal flour, take away 6 Tablespoons and change with 6 Tablespoons cornstarch, whisk to mix.
Really helpful Merchandise
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.