This olive tapenade recipe has a scrumptious mixture of contemporary, salty, and briny flavors. Serve it with crackers or baguette for a easy summer season appetizer!
A number of years again, in case you’d provided me olive tapenade at a celebration or gathering, I might have politely declined it. I’d all the time considered myself as an adventurous eater, however for some purpose, olives simply hadn’t been for me. However just lately, I’ve lastly(!) began to come back round to them. I like them in Greek salad and on bruschetta, and now, I even love olives in tapenade! Who is aware of? If you happen to’re an olive skeptic, this recipe may win you over too.
If you happen to’re not aware of tapenade, it’s a salty, briny olive unfold that originated within the Provençe area of France. It’s unbelievable on crackers and baguette, and it’s a powerful centerpiece for a summer season cheese board. My recipe requires a brief record of pantry elements, so it’s simple to whip up at a second’s discover. It could be an ideal last-minute appetizer for a celebration at present or anytime this season. Take pleasure in!
Olive Tapenade Recipe Components
Conventional tapenade is made with anchovies along with olives and capers. To maintain this recipe vegetarian, I skip the anchovies, however don’t fear – it’s nonetheless intensely flavorful. Right here’s what you’ll must make it:
- Olives, in fact! A conventional recipe would name for black olives corresponding to niçoise or Nyon. For a colourful twist, I exploit a mixture of inexperienced olives, like Castelvetrano, and kalamata olives as a substitute. Tip: For fast and simple prep, purchase pitted olives on the grocery retailer as a substitute of pitting them your self!
- Capers – They amp up the tapenade’s salty, briny taste.
- Solar-dried tomatoes – They’re not solely conventional, however they add beautiful purple flecks and wealthy, savory taste to this recipe.
- Recent lemon juice – For brightness.
- Garlic – For chew.
- Further-virgin olive oil – It brings the tapenade collectively right into a cohesive paste.
- And contemporary basil or parsley – These herbs provide a contemporary distinction to all of the briny, salty elements within the recipe.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Historically, olive tapenade is made in a mortar and pestle, however to streamline the method, I make mine in a meals processor as a substitute. It comes collectively in simply 5 minutes!
Olive Tapenade Serving Options
My favourite solution to serve tapenade is as an appetizer. Set it out with crackers or baguette, or serve it as a part of part of a snack board with parts corresponding to these:
- Creamy dips. You may’t go improper with hummus or white bean dip.
- Cheeses. I really like serving this olive tapenade with gentle, creamy cheeses like brie or contemporary mozzarella.
- Crunchy snacks. Roasted chickpeas and pecans are my go-tos.
- Recent veggies or fruit. No matter’s in season is your greatest guess!
However there are different methods to serve olive tapenade, too! Strive dotting it onto pizza, or slather it onto a sandwich. Spoon it over hard-boiled eggs for a snack or onto scrambled eggs for breakfast. You possibly can additionally add a couple of dollops to a summer season salad, like a Caprese salad or this zucchini salad, for a daring punch of taste.
How do you wish to serve olive tapenade? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Summer time Appetizers
If you happen to love this olive tapenade recipe, attempt one among these summer season appetizers subsequent:
This olive tapenade recipe is a simple, scrumptious appetizer! We like to serve it with crackers or baguette. Discover further serving solutions within the publish above.
- 1½ cups pitted olives, mixture of kalamata and inexperienced olives
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ tablespoon contemporary lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup contemporary basil or parsley
In a small meals processor, mix the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, capers, lemon juice, and garlic.
Pulse till mixed however nonetheless chunky. Add the contemporary herbs and pulse once more.
Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
Sources: David Lebovitz and The Artwork of Easy Meals by Alice Waters