This basic Ambrosia Fruit Salad is gentle, creamy and oh-so-divine! Maraschino cherries, mandarin oranges and pineapple chunks are mixed with a fluffy whipped cream dressing for a flexible aspect dish that doubles as a refreshing dessert.
Candy and Creamy Marshmallow Fruit Salad
Earlier than we all know it, spring will likely be sitting at our doorsteps – so we have to get ready with some celebratory munchies! Whipping up a easy fruit salad is my favourite place to begin. This ultra-creamy marshmallow model is a must-try!
It’s an excellent aspect dish to serve while you’d like so as to add one thing candy to the desk. You may even put your individual spin on it by including any fruits of your selection. I like to make use of mandarins, cherries and pineapples – a lot to the delight of my kids! They beg me to make this salad on a regular basis. It’s all the time standard at summer time potlucks and get togethers too.
What’s Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia salad is a light-weight and refreshing fruit salad that’s tied along with whipped cream dressing and infrequently incorporates mini marshmallows. Its origins stay unknown to today, although it’s broadly considered a Southern basic. The title ambrosia comes from Greek mythology – it immediately interprets to “immortality” and was used to consult with the meals of the gods. With a reputation like that, you already know that is going to be one heavenly dish!
Historic Greek literature states that solely the gods can take pleasure in ambrosia. However with the straightforward elements under, anybody can devour an ambrosia salad!
- Frozen Whipped Topping: Akin to Cool Whip, thawed. For even tastier outcomes, make whipped cream from scratch.
- Bitter Cream: Or vanilla-flavored yogurt.
- Shredded Coconut: Sweetened.
- Canned Mandarin Oranges: Don’t neglect to empty them.
- Pineapple Tidbits: Drained.
- Maraschino Cherries: Reduce in half.
- Mini Marshmallows: I like to make use of fruit-flavored marshmallows, however common ones work too.
Do I Must Use Canned Fruit?
You may completely go for recent fruit as an alternative of canned fruit if that’s your desire. Simply needless to say recent fruit isn’t fairly as candy, so chances are you’ll want so as to add some additional sugar.
Methods to Make Ambrosia Salad
This salad comes collectively in 10 minutes or much less, making it a beautiful last-minute snack or deal with. Let’s get began!
- Make Whipped Cream Dressing: Mix the whipped topping and bitter cream in a big bowl.
- Add Remaining Components: Add the coconut, oranges, pineapple, cherries and marshmallows, gently folding all the pieces into the whipped cream dressing.
- Chill: Refrigerate the salad for 3-4 hours previous to serving it.
Ideas for Success
You’re virtually able to throw collectively the final word summer time salad! Simply look over the ideas and methods under for good measure.
- Fold Gently: I like utilizing a rubber spatula to softly fold my fruits and marshmallows into the whipped cream dressing till all the pieces is simply mixed. Mixing too laborious or an excessive amount of will deflate the dressing and break up the fruit.
- Don’t Skimp on the Chill Time: Whereas it’s not obligatory, I extremely suggest letting your ambrosia salad sit within the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours earlier than you serve it. This corporations it up a bit and permits the flavors to come back collectively.
- Make it Your Personal: Don’t be afraid to load up this salad with no matter elements you’re craving! It tastes wonderful with chopped kiwis, banana slices, halved grapes, chopped pecans and extra.
It doesn’t matter what you select to serve alongside this fruit salad, your meal will certainly be a giant hit. At summer time barbecues and prepare dinner outs Ambrosia salad is normally served with grilled meats and basic summer time sides like chilly potato salad or coleslaw.
My children wish to take pleasure in it with Mac and Cheese, whereas I’m extra inclined to pair it with a citrusy protein like Lemon Butter Hen. When it comes to dessert pairings, it goes exceptionally nicely with these Coconut Sugar Cookies!
Methods to Retailer Extras
Retailer leftover ambrosia salad in an hermetic container within the fridge. You shouldn’t go away it out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours. Take pleasure in your leftovers inside 2-3 days, draining out any extra liquids which were launched by the fruits.
Can I Freeze This?
You may – however as soon as it’s frozen, it shouldn’t be defrosted. The thawing course of will trigger the dressing to separate. As a substitute, it ought to be scooped and served like ice cream.
To freeze your ambrosia salad, place it in a freezer-safe baking dish and wrap it tightly in two layers of plastic wrap. Take pleasure in it inside a month or two for one of the best outcomes.
This tremendous simple Ambrosia Fruit Salad is gentle, creamy and oh-so-divine! Maraschino cherries, mandarin oranges and pineapple chunks are mixed with a fluffy whipped cream dressing for a flexible aspect dish that doubles as a refreshing dessert.
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed (or do-it-yourself whipped cream)
- 1/2 cup bitter cream (or vanilla yogurt)
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 15 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
- 8 oz can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, minimize in half
- 1 1/2 cups mini fruit-flavored marshmallows
- In a big bowl, mix the whipped topping and bitter cream.
- Add the coconut, oranges, pineapple, cherries and marshmallows and gently fold into the whipped topping combination.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours previous to serving.
- To Retailer: Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic container and revel in inside 2-3 days, draining out any extra liquids which were launched by the fruits.
- To Freeze: Place leftovers in a freezer-safe baking dish and wrap tightly in two layers of plastic wrap. Take pleasure in inside a month or two – don’t thaw.
- Serving Dimension:
- Energy: 235
- Sugar: 30.3 g
- Sodium: 70.1 mg
- Fats: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.6 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 5.6 mg
Key phrases: marshmallow fruit salad, fruit salad ambrosia, cool whip fruit salad
Extra Should-Make Facet Dishes
On the lookout for less difficult and refreshing aspect dishes like this one? You’re in luck!