I’m sharing my favourite recipe for Marshmallow Frosting at the moment! It’s easy to make, not too candy, and made fully from scratch. Recipe features a how-to video!
The Finest Selfmade Marshmallow Fluff
I’ve you’ve ever been dissatisfied with marshmallow frosting that wouldn’t absolutely arrange or was simply method too candy, then it’s essential to attempt my recipe. I’ve cracked the code on how you can get the proper gentle and fluffy texture, shiny white colour, and delicate vanilla marshmallow taste. And better of all–it’s simple to make, too!
Not solely is my marshmallow frosting recipe easy to make, but it surely’s not overly candy. In actual fact, it makes use of surprisingly much less sugar than lots of my different frostings, resembling my traditional buttercream frosting.
Why You’ll Love This Marshmallow Frosting:
- In contrast to many different recipes on the market, this one doesn’t require pre-made marshmallow fluff or pre-made marshmallows–we’re making this fully from scratch!
- It’s versatile! This frosting can be used nearly anyplace rather than marshmallow fluff. I like to recommend you attempt it on chocolate cupcakes.
- It is a butter-free recipe, so it’s an amazing possibility if you’re out of butter or can’t use butter.
- It has a completely balanced sweetness, which is commonly a giant grievance with frostings.
- The method is totally different, however I embody a lot of ideas, notes, and a video to make it simple! The method is just like my meringue cookies and Swiss meringue buttercream, and for those who’ve tackled my home made marshmallows recipe you may definitely deal with this one!
What You Want
Listed below are the three key elements in at the moment’s marshmallow frosting recipe:
- Corn syrup. Corn syrup is NOT the identical as excessive fructose corn syrup, which is an ingredient I (and lots of of you) typically attempt to keep away from. I take advantage of corn syrup as a result of it helps preserve the sugars within the frosting from recrystallizing and helps the fluff last more, maintain its form higher longer, and final higher when refrigerated.
- Egg whites. I don’t suggest utilizing store-bought egg whites (usually bought in a carton). Folks have reported blended success with these, they won’t at all times whip to stiff peaks (and sometimes say so on the carton), which might make for a frosting that’s too gentle/droopy.
- Cream of tartar. That is essential for stabilizing the frosting and holding it agency. Whereas some individuals have reported efficiently making meringue with out it, I like to recommend utilizing it (it will probably normally be discovered within the spice part of your grocery retailer) for finest outcomes.
SAM’S TIP: For these of you preferring to bake with out corn syrup in any respect, you may simply use the filling for my oatmeal cream pies as a marshmallow frosting.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Find out how to Make Marshmallow Frosting
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1-2 inches of water and produce it to a simmer.
- Ensure your bowl is totally clear and doesn’t contact the underside of your pot when resting on prime.
- Mix all elements besides vanilla in your bowl, place it in your ready saucepan, and start whisking consistently.
- Take a look at to ensure the sugar has dissolved and the syrup is prepared by rubbing a drop between your fingers and checking the temperature.
- Switch your bowl to your stand mixer and beat the combination with a whisk attachment till thick, and fluffy stiff peaks kind.
- Stir in your vanilla till included and use as desired!
SAM’S TIP: This frosting is nice to serve as-is, but it surely’s even higher flippantly toasted! I purchased an affordable culinary torch just a few years in the past (I’ll hyperlink to it within the recipe card) and it’s been so price it for toasting issues like meringue and this frosting.
Steadily Requested Questions
In case your frosting isn’t reaching stiff peaks, it’s potential that there was grease in your bowl or whisk, some egg yolk acquired in with the white, or water acquired within the bowl. Sadly you’ll have to begin over if this occurs. Nonetheless, chances are you’ll simply must whip it longer!
If consuming inside two days, the frosting must be high-quality to take a seat at room temperature. Any longer than that, and also you’ll must refrigerate!
Any a part of the frosting that’s uncovered to air will grow to be agency, very like the outside of a store-bought marshmallow. Nonetheless, the inside, all the things beneath the surface layer, will stay gentle and sticky!
Keep tuned for a recipe that makes use of this home made marshmallow fluff very quickly…
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do that recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
Servings: 8 cups
Stop your display from going darkish
Earlier than you start: put together a double boiler. I like to make use of my stainless-steel KitchenAid mixing bowl (since I love to do all the blending with my stand mixer) and a medium-sized saucepan that’s massive sufficient to droop the bowl with out it touching the underside of the pan. Ensure that the bowl that you may be including your egg whites to is totally clear, dry, and grease-free.
Within the bowl that you’re utilizing to your double boiler (I take advantage of my stand mixer bowl), mix sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt and whisk till well-combined.
Deliver 1-2” of water to a simmer over medium-low warmth within the backside of your double boiler (Notice: I take advantage of a medium-sized saucepan. Ensure that when the bowl of your double boiler is added to the pot it doesn’t contact the water).
Place the bowl with egg whites over simmering water and whisk consistently till the sugar is dissolved and temperature of combination reaches at the least 160F (70C). Notice: for those who rub a small quantity of the syrup between your fingers, it ought to really feel clean and under no circumstances gritty. Watch out although, the syrup is scorching!
Take away bowl from warmth and match it onto your stand mixer (fitted with a whisk attachment). Slowly improve mixer velocity to excessive and beat on excessive velocity for about 5-10 minutes, till you may have thick, billowy, shiny stiff peaks.
Stir in vanilla extract till fully mixed.
Use marshmallow frosting instantly or cowl tightly and retailer at room temperature till prepared to make use of (chances are you’ll must re-whip the frosting earlier than utilizing if it sits longer than a number of hours). If desired, toast frosting utilizing a culinary torch after piping and earlier than serving.
Recipes That Use Egg Yolks:
Serving: 0.5cup | Energy: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 1g | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 57mg | Sugar: 41g | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.