Lemon lovers, this home made Lemon Velvet Cake recipe is for you!
We now have a number of go-to lemon cake recipes on our web site, and this newest addition with it’s smooth, velvety texture and great lemon taste is bound to develop into a brand new favourite!
What makes this recipe distinctive from our different lemon desserts is the cream cheese within the batter. It provides a creaminess and richness to the cake with out making it heavy or dense.
This Lemon Velvet Cake is fluffy, extremely moist, and has a powerful peak with three cake layers.
We’ve crammed the lemon cake with lemon curd and whipped cream, and frosted with home made lemon buttercream.
This cake can be good for all kinds of events, from birthdays to weddings and the whole lot in between. We hope that you simply get pleasure from it!
How one can Make Lemon Velvet Cake
You’ll find the complete, printable cake recipe additional down on this publish, or by clicking the “skip to recipe” button on the prime of the web page. Here’s a fast rundown of our steps!
- Preheat the oven to 325 levels F. Grease and flour three 8 inch pans, including a circle of parchment or wax paper to the underside of every pan.
- Combining the Dry Substances In a medium bowl, whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for 30 seconds and put aside.
- Combining the Moist Substances In one other bowl, mix the milk, oil, lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Put aside.
- Mixing Butter and Cream Cheese Within the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and cream cheese and blend at medium pace till easy.
- Add Sugar Steadily add the sugar and blend at medium pace for 2-3 minutes.
- Eggs Add the room temperature eggs separately, mixing till the yellow of the yolk disappears.
- Alternating Dry and Moist Substances: Mixing at low pace, alternately add the flour combination and the milk combination, starting and ending with the flour combination (We did 3 additions of the dry combination, 2 additions of moist). Enhance the pace barely and blend simply till mixed.
- Fill Pans and Bake: Divide the batter between the three pans and bake at 325 levels F for 28-Half-hour or till a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear or with only a few crumbs connected. Let the cake layers cool for 5-10 minutes within the pans on a wire rack earlier than turning out.
Filling for our Lemon Velvet Cake
There are lots of nice choices for fillings in terms of lemon layer cake.
As we speak, we determined to go along with two of our favorites: home made lemon curd and whipped cream!
For the Lemon Curd
In the event you’ve by no means made lemon curd, you will need to do that recipe! SO scrumptious!
That is such a simple recipe which mixes sugar, cornstarch for thickening, and water over medium warmth, then egg yolks and butter for richness, and lemon, lemon juice and lemon zest for great lemon taste.
After chilling, the lemon curd takes on a thicker consistency- it’s silky easy and tastes superb!
For the Whipped Cream
Along with the lemon curd, we unfold on a little bit of sweetened whipped cream between the layers as nicely!
Whipped cream is completely well worth the jiffy it takes to whip up!
Add a little bit of heavy cream or whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to a relaxing glass or steel bowl, whip it with chilled beaters and it comes collectively in all of it’s luscious glory very quickly in any respect!
We just like the contact of sweetness that the powdered sugar provides, in addition to the trace of vanilla. Yum!
The mixture of lemon curd and whipped cream goes completely with our gentle lemon cake layers for a dessert that’s assured to please.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
This simple, flavorful lemon buttercream frosting is a snap to make, as it’s based mostly on our basic vanilla buttercream recipe. It consists of butter, powdered sugar, a little bit of milk, lemon extract, and lemon zest.
The lemon zest is optional- other than including the tiny flecks of zest within the buttercream, the oils within the lemon peel will give a lift of lemon taste.
Assembling the Lemon Cake
Now for the enjoyable half! Let’s put this lemon cake collectively. First, place a cake layer in your cake base or pedestal.
Subsequent, pipe a dam of buttercream across the fringe of the layer utilizing a disposable piping bag with the tip snipped away. Piping a dam helps to maintain the smooth filling from escaping as you stack your cake layers.
Fill inside the dam with a layer of lemon curd, adopted by a layer of whipped cream.
High with the second cake layer and repeat the steps of piping a dam after which including the lemon curd and whipped cream.
High with the third cake layer and at this level, I prefer to pipe further buttercream to fill any remaining gaps between the cake layers. Frost the cake with a skinny layer of buttercream (the crumb coat).
As an non-obligatory step, I prefer to take 15-20 minutes to relax the cake within the freezer to agency the whole lot up earlier than including the second/ultimate coat of frosting.
You may embellish the cake nonetheless you want! This lemon buttercream recipe makes loads of frosting. I added the frosting across the sides of the cake, after which used a steel comb to create ornamental strains within the frosting.
I piped massive rosettes utilizing a 2D piping tip across the prime fringe of the cake, after which crammed in with a layer of lemon curd. *You doubtless could have some lemon curd leftover- that’s by no means a nasty factor when you love lemon curd like we do! ;0)
Lastly, I added a small bead border across the base of the cake utilizing a small spherical piping tip 3.
Different Favourite Lemon Cake Recipes!
We actually LOVE all issues lemon- when you do too, don’t miss these different lemony favorites from our recipes part!
For our full assortment of lemon cake and frosting favorites, don’t miss our spherical up The Finest Lemon Truffles, Frostings, and Fillings! Listed below are only a few:
This moist Lemon Velvet Cake is called for it is smooth, velvety texture. This lemon layer cake is stuffed with lemon curd and whipped cream, and frosted with lemon buttercream frosting.
- 1 (8oz)(226g) package deal cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4c)(168g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 4 massive eggs, room temperature (to save lots of time you possibly can heat them in a bowl of scorching water for five min)
- 3 cups (342g) cake flour- see Notes for substitution
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 3/4 cup (175g) milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (approximate quantity in a single small lemon)
- 1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil (we used canola oil)
- 1 Tablespoon (10g) Lemon Extract
- Zest of two lemons
For the Lemon Curd Filling
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 cup (236g) water
- 2 massive egg yolks, evenly overwhelmed
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) butter
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 Tablespoons recent lemon juice
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (240g) heavy cream
- 1/4 (29g) cup powdered sugar
- 1 (4g) teaspoon vanilla
For the Lemon Buttercream
- 3 sticks (339g) unsalted butter barely softened
- 2 teaspoons (8g) lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon (non-obligatory)
- 7 1/2 cups (863g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) milk or extra to achieve the consistency you want
- *Yellow Coloring Gel is Optionally available (we used a contact of Americolor Lemon Yellow)
For the Lemon Velvet Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 levels F. Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. We prefer to line the underside of our pans with circles of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for 30 seconds and put aside.
- In one other bowl, mix the milk, oil, lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Put aside.**It would take a on a thick, clumpy look- do not worry- the lemon is mainly turning the milk into buttermilk.
- Within the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and cream cheese and blend at medium pace till easy.
- Steadily add the sugar and blend at medium pace for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the room temperature eggs separately, mixing till the yellow of the yolk disappears.
- With the mixer on low pace, alternately add the flour combination and the milk combination, starting and ending with the flour combination (We did 3 additions of the dry combination, 2 additions of moist). Barely enhance the mixer pace simply till mixed.
- Divide the batter between the three ready pans.
- Bake at 325 levels F for 28-Half-hour or till a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear or with only a few crumbs connected. Let cool for 5-10 minutes within the pans on a wire rack earlier than turning out.
- This recipe makes roughly 8 cups of batter. Works for cupcakes additionally (though there can be little to no dome).
For the Lemon Curd
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan over medium warmth. Stir continually, till combination thickens and involves a boil (3-4 minutes). Boil, stirring, for 1 minute extra. Take away the pan from the warmth.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the recent combination right into a small bowl with egg yolks and stir rapidly till mixed. Proceed stirring, whereas pouring the egg combination again into the saucepan. Return pan to medium warmth and cook dinner, stirring, till the curd is thickened and lemon coloured (1-2 min).
- Take away from warmth and stir within the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.– Let the lemon curd cool, then press plastic wrap onto the floor, this can stop a pores and skin from forming on the highest. Refrigerate.
- This can fill a 2-3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake with some leftover. The recipe could be halved.I’ve refrigerated the lemon curd for per week and it was tremendous….I am unsure how lengthy it’ll maintain past that. Makes 1 1/4 cups
For the Whipped Cream
- Chill the blending bowl and beaters/ whisk attachment within the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla into the chilled mixing bowl, start beating on low pace progressively rising to medium excessive pace.
- The cream begins to thicken (approx. 1 1/2 minutes) and smooth peaks kind….peaks that barely bend over. Watch intently as this occurs rapidly. Don’t over beat.
For the Lemon Buttercream
- Within the bowl of your mixer beat the butter till easy, mix within the lemon extract and zest.Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and 1/2 of the milk and blend at medium pace till mixed.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and progressively add the milk. You can even add a contact of lemon yellow coloring gel at this level if you need extra shade.
- Combine at medium pace 3 to five minutes scraping the perimeters and backside of the bowl sometimes. On the finish of blending, decelerate the mixer to very low pace for a minute or two, this can assist to eradicate air pockets within the buttercream.
- Yield: 6 cups – sufficient to fill and frost a 3 layer 8 inch cakeCan be frozen in an air tight container for not less than 3 months. Thaw on countertop and remixIf your buttercream is just too skinny, add extra powdered sugar.
- If the consistency is just too thick, add a bit extra milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Assembling the Cake
- Place the primary cake layer on the cake plate or pedestal.
- Pipe a dam of buttercream across the fringe of the cake layer, utilizing a piping bag with the tip snipped away (or ziplock bag).
- Fill with a layer of lemon curd, adopted by a layer of whipped cream. High with the subsequent cake layer and repeat steps with dam and filling.
- High with the third cake layer and fill any remaining gaps between the cake layers with buttercream.
- Crumb coat the cake with a skinny layer of buttercream. Chill within the freezer for quarter-hour to agency issues up (non-obligatory).
- Frost the perimeters of the cake with the ultimate coat of buttercream (I added ridges with a cake comb). Lastly, I piped rosettes across the prime fringe of the cake utilizing a 2D piping tip and crammed the highest with a skinny layer of lemon curd.Chill the cake till inside a few hours of serving.
Does the Form of Confectioners Sugar in Buttercream Matter?
Surprisingly, the type of confectioners sugar utilized in buttercream does make a distinction! Buttercream recipes shouldn’t have a gritty or grainy texture. In the event that they do, it’s doubtless the results of the confectioners sugar.
We’ve had nice outcomes with Domino’s confectioners sugar over time. Some manufacturers of confectioners sugar don’t work as nicely with buttercream frosting recipes.
If a package deal doesn’t say pure cane sugar, it incorporates beet sugar which is extra doubtless to present you a grainy consequence.
Nevertheless, we’ve seen that generally even manufacturers that say “Pure Cane Sugar” will lead to a grainy consistency. The anti-caking agent used within the sugar is also the wrongdoer. It’s laborious to know with out a little experimenting to seek out the model that offers a easy, creamy end result each time.
Favourite Cake Recipes and On-line Cake Tutorials!
Thanks a lot for stopping by! In the event you give our Lemon Velvet Cake a strive, we might love so that you can depart a remark and photograph beneath!
Don’t miss our full assortment of our go-to cake and frosting recipes in our Recipes Part. One can find our greatest scratch cake recipes there in addition to doctored cake combine favorites!
In case you are concerned with studying extra about cake adorning, don’t miss our Free Cake Tutorials part, which incorporates our Free Cake Movies part. There are such a lot of enjoyable cake strategies and designs to strive!
Lastly, if you need to study much more about cake adorning, it is best to take into account turning into a member of My Cake College!
We now have tons of of cake movies in our member cake tutorial part for all talent ranges of cake adorning. You’ll find the entire particulars right here: My Cake College Membership Info We might like to have you ever!