Learn to make the proper do-it-yourself Lemon Curd Recipe! My simple model makes a tart lemon curd that’s excellent for utilizing as a filling or unfold. Recipe features a how-to video!
When Life Offers You Lemons…
Make lemon curd! Have you ever ever made your personal earlier than? In that case, you then already know that it’s a lot tastier than the store-bought sort. My do-it-yourself lemon curd recipe is vibrant and sunny, creamy and tart, and utterly refreshing. Plus, it’s surprisingly easy to make. So easy, in reality, that you simply want solely 5 elements!
Should you’re a lemon lover, likelihood is you might have already made this recipe. My lemon bars use a sweetened model of in the present day’s recipe for his or her filling, and it’s a key ingredient within the vibrant yellow filling of my lemon cake and my lemon frosting.
Why You Ought to Attempt Do-it-yourself Lemon Curd:
- It cooks in simply 10 minutes and is very easy to make!
- The feel is silky easy (so long as you pressure it!).
- It has a contemporary, completely tart taste that really outshines the store-bought stuff.
- It pairs nicely with so many desserts, from truffles and cupcakes to pavlova.
What You Want
My lemon curd recipe makes use of solely 5 elements for the only, best, and tastiest outcomes! Listed here are a couple of of the important thing gamers:
- Egg yolks. Should you’d moderately not throw your egg whites away, take a look at the checklist of egg white recipes I included within the recipe notes.
- Lemon juice. You’ll want contemporary squeezed lemon juice for in the present day’s recipe. I discover that I often want about three lemons to get sufficient juice.
- Lemon zest. At all times zest your lemons earlier than you juice them! It’s nearly unimaginable to zest a juiced lemon.
SAM’S TIP: When you break by means of the yellow pores and skin of your lemon, the intense white layer beneath is named the pith. The pith is bitter and doesn’t style excellent, so solely zest till you attain that time, then cease!
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
The best way to Make Lemon Curd
- Add the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and salt to a medium saucepan.
- Whisk till every little thing is mixed, then set the warmth to low/medium-low and add the remaining elements.
- Stir always and cook dinner till the combination is thickened, then pour it by means of a high quality mesh strainer right into a heat-proof bowl.
- Press a bit of plastic wrap towards the floor of the curd and permit it to chill to room temperature earlier than transferring to the fridge for a number of hours.
SAM’S TIP: Watch your warmth! Hold it low, stir always, and don’t let your curd come to a boil–you don’t wish to find yourself scrambling your eggs!
Steadily Requested Questions
Lemon curd could also be runny if it isn’t cooked correctly, for instance whether it is cooked too rapidly on too excessive of warmth or if it isn’t cooked till thickened as indicated. Needless to say the curd will thicken because it cools, so whereas it nonetheless could appear a bit free as it’s cooking, it’ll thicken within the fridge. In case your curd remains to be runny after cooling, it could have wanted a couple of extra minutes on the range.
Do-it-yourself lemon curd will maintain as much as two weeks if saved within the fridge in an hermetic container.
Let me know your favourite option to serve lemon curd within the feedback under!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! Should you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Fb
Lemon Curd Recipe
The best way to make the proper do-it-yourself Lemon Curd Recipe! This recipe makes a tart curd that is excellent for utilizing as a filling or unfold! Contains how-to video!
Servings: 13 fl oz
Forestall your display from going darkish
Mix eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk till well-combined. Switch to stovetop over low/medium-low warmth and add butter and lemon zest.
Cook dinner, stirring always (don’t let the curd boil) till thickened and it coats the again of a spoon (see video under if a visible is useful to you). I additionally like to make use of an prompt learn thermometer to verify that the curd reaches 160F (to make sure eggs are cooked all through).
Take away from warmth and pour by means of a high quality mesh strainer right into a heat-proof bowl.
Cowl with plastic wrap touching the floor of the lemon curd to keep away from a pores and skin forming. Permit to chill to room temperature for 20-Half-hour then switch to the fridge or divide into serving jars. Chill for a number of hours then use as desired.
¹Ways to make use of leftover egg whites
On the lookout for a recipe in your leftover egg whites? Listed here are a couple of ideas:
²This took 3 complete lemons for me
³Zest the lemon earlier than squeezing, it’s a lot simpler that manner than attempting to zest an empty lemon pores and skin. You’ll want to keep away from the bitter white pith when zesting (don’t grate all the best way all the way down to the precise lemon!)
The best way to Retailer
Hold in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as two weeks.
Serving: 1fl oz | Energy: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 9g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 21mg | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.