Italian Cream Cake is a southern-style cake is bursting with pecan, coconut, and almond flavors. It’s frosted with a cream cheese frosting and superbly adorned to make one spectacular and ridiculously tasty dessert! Recipe features a how-to video.
A Not-So-Italian Cream Cake
By in style request! After a slew of emails asking for an Italian cream cake, I’ve lastly created my very own recipe that I’m excited to share with you at present.
Italian cream desserts are recognized for having a delicate cake crumb loaded with pecans and coconut. I needed mine to be plush and completely dense (however with a crumb nearer to vanilla cake than pound cake), sturdy sufficient to deal with three layers and hold chopped pecans suspended within the batter, but nonetheless capable of soften in your mouth. Tough, proper? Proper.
It took lots of makes an attempt to nail this one down, and in the end, I ended up utilizing a modified model of my Chantilly cake. I nixed the brown sugar in order that the almond taste might shine, used the reverse creaming technique for an attractive, delicate crumb, and topped every thing off with a THICK layer of cream cheese frosting, with only some small tweaks from my well-loved recipe. You’re going to find it irresistible, even when it’s not actually Italian (extra on that under!).
This Cake Is a Winner in Each Division:
- Taste: distinctive, but nonetheless tastes comforting and acquainted.
- Seems: three stately layers topped with luscious cream cheese frosting; it’s nearly as spectacular as my cheesecake stuffed chocolate cake!
- Texture: the coconut and pecans all through add a satisfying chew to the in any other case delicate crumb.
- Ease: reverse creaming takes a smidge extra time, however makes it practically not possible to break the crumb of the cake. This recipe is foolproof!
What You Want
Right here’s what you’ll want for an excellent flavorful Italian cream cake:
- Almond extract. Utilizing almond extract in each the frosting and cake provides it a shiny and attractive taste with out being overwhelming; you’ll nearly surprise what it’s that’s giving the cake such a superbly balanced taste (in case you’ve tried my angel meals cake, you realize what I’m speaking about!)!
- Buttermilk. I really like utilizing buttermilk in desserts so as to add moisture and taste. When you’re in a pinch, you should use my buttermilk substitute, however I’d actually advocate utilizing the true stuff for this one.
- Pecans. When you’d like to make use of toasted pecans, toast them earlier than you chop, in any other case they’re more likely to burn.
- Coconut. We’ll use sweetened coconut within the cake and chopped toasted coconut for the ornament. I shared a publish yesterday displaying tips on how to toast coconut, so test that out in case you’ve by no means accomplished it earlier than.
- Cream cheese. Use brick-style, full-fat cream cheese; the rest might make your frosting too humorous.
SAM’S TIP: I frost my Italian cream cake very generously (thick frosting is type of an indicator of the cake, actually); in case you choose a extra modest quantity of frosting and don’t plan to do an ornamental border, I counsel you divide the frosting recipe in half.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
Make Italian Cream Cake
- Mix the dry components in a big bowl, then combine within the butter one tablespoon at a time (that is the reverse creaming technique I take advantage of with my caramel cake, versus creaming collectively the butter and sugar first).
- Whisk the moist components collectively, then drizzle this combination into the butter/flour combination whereas mixing on low pace.
- Fold within the pecans and coconut with a spatula, then divide the batter between three greased, floured, and parchment-lined pans.
- Bake for half-hour, then let the desserts cool of their pans for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Cream collectively the butter and cream cheese till easy, then stir within the extracts and salt.
- Step by step add the powdered sugar and hold mixing till the icing is easy and creamy.
- Degree your desserts if wanted, then unfold a thick layer of frosting excessive of 1 layer. Repeat till all layers have been frosted.
- Unfold a skinny layer of frosting across the whole cake and refrigerate for Quarter-hour.
- End frosting and add ornamental swirls on prime, if desired.
- Press a mix of toasted coconut and finely chopped pecans up the perimeters of the cake and calmly sprinkle any extra in your piped swirls.
SAM’S TIP: Just about the one solution to mess up this cake is to overbake it, so make sure that to check the cake for doneness a minute or two early to be protected!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Surprisingly, Italian cream cake is not really Italian! It’s believed to have originated within the southern USA, which isn’t shocking contemplating it’s studded with nuts each in and out (all one of the best southern desserts appear to include nuts, like my Texas sheet cake).
Despite the fact that its not really from the Mediterranean, it nonetheless tastes as shiny and flavorful as a real Italian dessert!
Sure, though it must be advantageous at room temperature in an hermetic container for about 48 hours. After that, undoubtedly put it within the fridge (nonetheless in an hermetic container!).
You could possibly, however traditional Italian cream desserts are made with cream cheese icing and I’ve discovered the cake actually advantages from the slight tang of a cream cheese frosting. When you’d like to change issues up, whipped cream frosting or Swiss meringue buttercream could be good alternate options!
So, how did I do? When you requested for this recipe, let me know the way you prefer it within the feedback under!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! When you do that recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Fb
Italian Cream Cake
Servings: 12 servings
Frosting (sure, it’s rather a lot, see observe)
Stop your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and completely grease and flour three 8” (20cm) spherical cake pans (moreover I prefer to line the bottoms of every pan with a spherical of parchment paper to forestall sticking).
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a big mixing bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment) and stir till fully mixed.
With mixer on medium-speed, add butter, one piece at a time, stirring till fully mixed after every addition and earlier than including the subsequent piece. Proceed till all butter has been added. Combination can be sandy as soon as all butter is included.
In a big measuring cup, whisk collectively buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and almond extract.
With mixer on low-speed, slowly drizzle buttermilk combination into the batter till fully included. Pause periodically to scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl with a spatula to make sure all components are fully mixed.
Use a spatula to stir in coconut and pecans till fully mixed.
Evenly divide batter into ready baking pans and switch to the middle rack of 350F (175C) preheated oven for half-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear or with moist crumbs (see observe in case your oven doesn’t match all three pans directly, or in case you don’t have three pans!).
Permit desserts to chill of their pans for 10-Quarter-hour, then run a knife across the edge to loosen cake from the pan and invert every layer onto a cooling rack to chill fully earlier than adorning. Whereas desserts cool, put together the frosting.
In a big mixing bowl utilizing an electrical mixer (or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) mix butter and cream cheese and beat on low-speed till creamy and well-combined,
Add vanilla extract, almond extract and salt and stir to mix,
With mixer on low-speed, regularly add powdered sugar till all has been added. Scrape sides and backside of bowl and stir once more. Frosting must be easy and creamy.
Degree desserts if desired/needed. Place one cake on serving platter and unfold a thick, even layer of frosting excessive. Repeat with the subsequent two layers. Clean a skinny layer of frosting evenly across the whole cake to catch the crumbs then place the cake within the fridge for Quarter-hour (that is your “crumb coat”, it can guarantee your outer layer of frosting stays pristine.
Take away cake from fridge and unfold a good layer of frosting over your complete cake. Use remaining frosting to pipe ornamental swirls on prime of the cake (I used the Ateco 846 piping tip).
If desired, instantly after frosting the cake, combine collectively finely chopped pecans and toasted coconut and press midway up the facet of the cake. Mud the highest of every swirl with a light-weight sprinkling of pecan/coconut combination.
Bake desserts within the heart rack of your oven (don’t place cake tins on completely different racks, they gained’t bake correctly). In case your oven doesn’t bake evenly, it’s possible you’ll have to rotate the pans midway via baking or simply remember that some tins could bake quicker than others. In case your oven doesn’t match all three tins within the heart rack, it’s advantageous to go away one sitting on the counter till the primary two have baked, the lone cake might have a minute much less time within the oven.
This recipe may be made in three 9” pans, however might want to bake for much less time (begin checking at 25 minutes).
Since Italian Cream Truffles are well-known for his or her luscious cream cheese frosting, I wasn’t about to scrimp on the quantity for my recipe. This recipe as written makes sufficient frosting to generously cowl your complete cake in addition to to do the ornamental border on prime. If you need a extra modest quantity of frosting and no ornamental border, be happy to divide the recipe in half.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 48 hours or within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Cake may be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 1088kcal | Carbohydrates: 144g | Protein: 9g | Fats: 56g | Saturated Fats: 31g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 16g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 502mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 119g | Vitamin A: 1426IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.