A spice cupcake full of banana, coconut and pecan, often known as Hummingbird Cupcakes, is simply the factor for spring. The brown sugar cream cheese frosting on prime is the right accompaniment to the multitude of flavors within the cupcake beneath.
Finest Hummingbird Cupcake Recipe
Earlier than we discuss this recipe, can we please simply take a second and have a look at all of the totally different flavors inside this little cupcake? The batter is made with mashed bananas, canned crushed pineapple, almond extract and loads of cinnamon. It is a whole taste shock, in one of the best ways potential.
The cupcake frosting is my brown sugar cream cheese frosting. Every chew is full of taste, and I completely can’t get sufficient. If you wish to add a splash of rum to it, I will not choose.
How you can Make Hummingbird Cupcakes
Hummingbird cake is a very fashionable Southern recipe that regularly graced the desk once I was rising up. It’s a tender white cake filled with banana, pineapple, coconut and pecans. These elements had been thought-about particular throughout our grandparent’s time and had been saved for the vacation season. Since elements can be found all 12 months nowadays, you can also make this cake any time of 12 months. That is an excellent factor, belief me.
The normal frosting is cream cheese, however I opted for a brown sugar cream cheese right here. I really like the molasses taste paired with pecans. When you’re extra of a traditionalist, use the cream cheese frosting recipe from my Purple Velvet Cupcakes.
- Banana. Simply half of 1 small banana, mashed. It ought to measure about ¼ cup of mashed banana.
- Oil. Any impartial oil: canola oil, vegetable oil, safflower oil all work right here.
- Granulated Sugar.
- Crushed Pineapple. Canned crushed pineapple is measured first by scooping out of the can, after which calmly draining. For this recipe, scoop out ¼ cup of crushed pineapple from the can, after which drain it in a sieve earlier than utilizing.
- Coconut. Simply 2 tablespoons of sweetened coconut flakes.
- Egg. One entire egg; egg yolk and egg white for this recipe.
- Almond Extract. Sure, we’re utilizing almond not vanilla, as a result of it performs so nicely with cinnamon right here.
- All-Function Flour.
- Baking Powder.
- Cream Cheese. Soften this to room temperature earlier than making the frosting.
- Brown Sugar. Gentle or darkish brown sugar each work.
- Powdered Sugar. Nearly all of the sweetness for the brown sugar cream cheese frosting will come from powdered sugar, as a result of all brown sugar can be too grainy.
- Pecans. Utterly non-obligatory, although it’s your decision them for adorning.
- Collect all elements for the hummingbird cupcakes, and place 4 cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the banana, oil and granulated sugar. Mash the banana with a fork whereas stirring all the things collectively. Some chunks are okay, however attempt to totally mash it and make the combination homogenous.
3. As soon as all the things is mixed, add the drained crushed pineapple, coconut, egg, and almond extract. Whisk or stir by hand very nicely to mix all the moist elements.
4. Sprinkle the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt on prime of the moist elements. Stir gently to mix, and divide between the 4 cupcake liners. Bake for 18-21 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out clear. The cupcakes will even spring again while you gently press on them.
5. Let the cupcakes cool when you make the frosting: mix the cream cheese, butter and brown sugar and beat till mixed. We’re beating this nicely to dissolve the brown sugar.
6. Add 3 tablespoons of the powdered sugar, and style to see if it is candy sufficient. If it is not candy sufficient or too stiff, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Powdered sugar will skinny out a frosting, not thicken it up, as a result of sugar dissolves and is technically a moist elements in baking.SaveSave
7. As soon as the frosting is fluffy and able to be piped onto the cool cupcakes, scrape it right into a piping bag. Alternatively, you’ll be able to unfold it on the cupcakes with a butter knife, too!
I used to be at all times informed it is referred to as hummingbird cake as a result of it is so candy, simply the way in which hummingbirds like their flower nectar. One other story goes like this: as a result of the cake has the flavors of Jamaican in it (tropical pineapple and spices just like these present in rum), and the Jamaican airline emblem is a hummingbird, it was topped hummingbird cake.
Hummingbird cake is a singular taste: it is a white cake with cinnamon, mashed banana, pineapple, and pecans. It sometimes has a candy cream cheese frosting.
When you want to make these cupcakes forward of time, freeze them in freezer-safe bag for as much as 3 months. Defrost at room temperature, and make the frosting the day you intend to serve them. The cupcakes will be refrigerated with frosting for a couple of hours, however cream cheese does harden so let it soften at room temperature earlier than serving.
Yield: 4 cupcakes
Hummingbird cupcakes with pineapple, coconut and pecans, with a brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
Cook dinner Time
For the cupcakes:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ small banana
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple, calmly drained
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut shreds
- 1 giant egg
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup + 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the brown sugar cream cheese frosting:
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons darkish brown sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- toasted pecans for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line a muffin pan with 4 cups. Collect all elements for the cupcakes, and have the frosting elements resting on the counter coming to room temperature when you bake.
- In a medium bowl, stir collectively the canola oil, banana and sugar. Mash the banana into the oil and sugar combination.
- As soon as it is nicely integrated, stir within the pineapple, coconut, egg and almond extract. Combine nicely. Sprinkle the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt on prime. Stir till mixed, however do not overmix.
- Divide the batter between the 4 cups and bake 18-21 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted comes out clear. Let cool utterly earlier than frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat collectively the cream cheese, butter and brown sugar.
- Start by including 3 tablespoons of the powdered sugar and beating it collectively nicely. If the frosting is just too stiff, add the remaining powdered sugar.
- Frost the cupcakes and serve.
Banana: One small banana, mashed, is about ¼ cup.
Oil: Any flavorless oil, like canola or
Crushed Pineapple: Scoop out ¼ cup of crushed pineapple from the can, after which drain it earlier than utilizing.
Coconut: Simply 2 tablespoons of sweetened coconut flakes.
Egg: One entire egg.
Almond Extract: You need to use vanilla extract, in the event you’re extra comfy.
Cream Cheese: Soften to room temperature
Brown Sugar: Gentle or darkish brown sugar each work.
Pecans: Optionally available.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 412Complete Fats: 26gSaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 15gLdl cholesterol: 83mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g