Have contemporary Apple Pie Filling at your fingertips with my favourite selfmade recipe! Filled with cozy fall flavors and ideal to make use of in all of your most-loved pies, apple desserts, breakfasts, and loads of different recipes.
Simple Home made Apple Pie Filling
Possibly it’s the baker in me, however I’m a stickler for selfmade apple pies. They’re only a bajillion occasions higher than store-bought! And I feel a big a part of it has to do with the filling. There’s simply one thing about contemporary, aromatic, spiced apple pie filling made out of scratch that may’t be rivalled in a retailer.
I really like this pie filling recipe 1) as a result of my home smells completely scrumptious whereas I’m making it, and a pair of) it’s really easy to make, and even simpler to make use of in different recipes. From apple pies, to apple desserts and baked items. I can consider every kind of causes to have apple pie filling readily available!
This sweet-tart apple filling is stuffed with heat spices, with juicy apple slices which might be tender however not mushy. Plus, it’s prepared in about half-hour, able to retailer for all of your favourite apple recipes.
What You’ll Want
- Apples: You should use any of your favourite apple varieties. Some are higher for baking, see beneath for options!
- Lemon: Lemon juice helps to maintain the apples from browning.
- Sugar: For a lighter taste and coloration, use white sugar. In the meantime brown sugar will give your filling a richer, caramelized taste and darker coloration.
- Cornstarch: A slurry of cornstarch in water helps thicken the filling rapidly, with out the added time wanted to cook dinner down the sugar.
- Spices: Floor cinnamon and nutmeg carry all the comfy fall vibes to your apple pie filling! Plus a pinch of salt to steadiness the sweetness.
What Sort of Apples Are Greatest?
My favourite apples to make use of for pie filling are Granny Smith, Golden Scrumptious or Honeycrisp. These have a scrumptious sweet-tart taste and received’t get mushy when baked!
An excellent factor to recollect is that completely different sorts of apples will produce roughly liquid as they cook dinner. Because of this, use rather less or a bit additional water in your recipe as wanted, to get your required consistency.
The way to Make Apple Pie Filling From Scratch
This filling recipe makes sufficient to fill two 9-inch pies, or you’ll be able to retailer it to make use of any manner you’d like! Right here’s the right way to make this simple pie filling:
Prep the Apples: First, you’ll must peel and de-core the apples. Subsequent, use a pointy knife to slice them up thinly, then toss and coat in a little bit of lemon juice to maintain the minimize apples from browning.
Prep the Spices: In a separate bowl, stir the cornstarch and sugar collectively, together with the spices.
Make the Sauce: Deliver water to a boil in a big pot, then add within the dry elements to simmer. It would scent unbelievable! After a minute or two, the sauce will begin to thicken, and that is whenever you’ll stir in your apple slices. Proceed to simmer the apples within the sauce till tender, then take them off the warmth to chill.
Use or Retailer: As soon as the pie filling has cooled, you’ll be able to both add it straight right into a pie crust, or preserve it saved for later use! See additional down on this submit for recommendations on the right way to use and retailer your selfmade apple pie filling.
Suggestions for Success
- Minimize Similar-Sized Slices: Attempt to minimize your apples into uniform slices, this fashion they’ll cook dinner via evenly.
- Coat with Lemon: I embody this step in my recipe as a result of it actually does forestall the apples from going brown after they’re minimize! Use a freshly squeezed lemon or store-bought lemon juice to toss and coat the apple slices.
- Can I Skip the Cornstarch?: Cornstarch is an effective way to fast-track the thickening course of! Nevertheless, for those who’d choose to make your pie filling with out, add additional sugar as an alternative after which simmer the combination a bit longer till it’s decreased sufficient to thicken.
Methods to Use Apple Pie Filling
There’s extra to apple pie filling than simply, properly, filling pies. Listed below are much more methods you need to use your scrumptious selfmade pie filling:
For those who don’t plan to make use of it immediately, retailer your apple pie filling hermetic within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Glass mason jars work nice for storage!
Can I Freeze This?
Freezing apple pie filling is tremendous simple, and you’ll preserve it within the freezer for as much as 12 months. To freeze, let the filling cool utterly after which switch it to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag.
Thaw frozen the pie filling within the fridge in a single day, or reheat it in a saucepan over mild warmth on the range.
Cook dinner Time
- 9 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1⁄2 small lemon, juiced
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Peel and de-core the apples. Thinly slice and set in a big bowl. Coat with the lemon juice and toss to mix.
- In a small bowl, combine collectively the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Put aside.
- In a big pot or dutch oven, pour the 4 1⁄2 cups of water and convey to a boil. Add the dry cornstarch combination and cut back the warmth. Simmer for 1 minute or till the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the sliced apples to the pot and gently stir to evenly coat with the sauce. Cowl and proceed to simmer till the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Take away from warmth and permit to chill.
- As soon as cooled, divide the pie filling into two freezer protected containers or pour a single portion straight into the ready pie crust for baking. Pie filling could also be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days or within the freezer for as much as 12 months.
Granny smith, Golden Scrumptious or Honeycrisp are my favourite apples to make use of for apple pie filling. Completely different styles of apples will produce completely different quantities of liquid through the cooking course of. If the sauce turns into too thick, be happy to regulate the water quantity to suit your desired consistency.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 236Whole Fats: 0gSaturated Fats: 0gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 0gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 51gProtein: 0g
Extra Crave-Worthy Apple Recipes
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.