On the lookout for a simple plant-based principal dish to throw on the grill? Do that grilled tofu recipe! It is satisfying, flavorful, and easy to make.
Have you ever tried grilled tofu but? If not, you must bookmark this recipe! I’ll provide you with two the reason why:
- It’s SUPER easy. Ever made home made veggie burgers? They’re scrumptious, however they are often pretty concerned to make. This grilled tofu can also be very tasty (see #2 beneath), however the prep is approach easier. Press it, season it, and toss it on the grill. It’s the simplest plant-based principal dish for a summer time cookout.
- It’s scrumptious! On the skin, this grilled tofu is evenly crisp and completely charred, whereas on the within, it stays tender and juicy. Seasonings like chili powder, curry powder, or soy sauce infuse it with daring taste. Even tofu skeptics will prefer it!
Come on, let’s cook dinner!
The best way to Make Grilled Tofu
Step one on this grilled tofu recipe is urgent the tofu. No matter you do, don’t skip it! It removes extra water from the tofu, which makes the tofu extra cohesive and fewer more likely to disintegrate on the grill.
Pat the tofu dry, and wrap it in paper towels or a clear kitchen towel.
Place it on a chopping board, after which set a heavy cast-iron skillet on high. You could possibly additionally use one other chopping board topped with a number of heavy cans. Let the tofu sit for at the least half-hour and as much as 90 minutes.
Then, slice the block crosswise into 4 slabs. You’ll discover that it’s a lot firmer than it was earlier than you pressed it!
Subsequent, season the tofu. That is the enjoyable half! You’ll be able to season grilled tofu in all kinds of how, so that you get to select no matter sounds greatest to you. Strive beginning with one among these seasonings:
- Fajita seasoning combine
- Chili powder
- Curry powder
- Tamari or soy sauce
For those who’re utilizing fajita seasoning combine, chili powder, or curry powder, sprinkle the spice over the tofu and drizzle it with avocado oil. For those who’re utilizing tamari or soy sauce, drizzle it over the tofu with out including any oil.
Use your palms to coat all sides of the tofu slices within the seasoning.
Lastly, grill! Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high warmth. When it’s scorching, brush or spray the grill grates with oil. Grill the tofu for two to three minutes per aspect, or till char marks kind and the tofu releases from the grill grates.
Grilled Tofu Recipe Ideas
- Additional-firm solely! This grilled tofu recipe will solely work with extra-firm tofu. Don’t attempt making it with mushy or silken tofu (and even common agency tofu, for that matter). All of them will probably be too mushy and watery to carry up on the grill.
- Don’t skip the press. This straightforward, hands-off step is the important thing to creating nice grilled tofu! Pressed tofu has a firmer, extra satisfying texture, and it’s a lot much less more likely to disintegrate on the grill.
- Get the grill (or grill pan) good and scorching earlier than you add the tofu. Cooking the tofu on a preheated grill helps it kind the darkish, flavorful char marks you see pictured right here. It additionally reduces the probability of the tofu sticking to the grill. In case your tofu does persist with the grill – even in the event you preheated it – attempt cooking it a minute or two longer earlier than you flip it. Typically, if the tofu sticks, it implies that it’s not but absolutely charred.
Grilled Tofu Serving Solutions
To take the grilled tofu excessive, I like to recommend serving it with a flavorful sauce. For those who season the tofu with fajita seasoning combine, chili powder, or curry powder, attempt serving it with drizzles of cilantro lime dressing (a squeeze of contemporary lime juice works too). For those who season the tofu with tamari, attempt spooning my sesame ginger dressing on high.
Spherical out the meal with cooked rice or cilantro lime rice and your favourite grilled greens. After I season the tofu with tamari, I like to serve it with grilled asparagus as a aspect dish. After I season it with curry powder, I prefer it with grilled candy potatoes and onions. If I toss it in chili powder or fajita seasoning, I pair it with grilled veggie skewers or fajita veggies.
How do you wish to serve grilled tofu? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Grilling Recipes
For those who love this grilled tofu recipe, attempt one among these summer time grilling recipes subsequent:
Serves 4 to six
This grilled tofu recipe is one among our favourite methods to cook dinner tofu! Satisfying, flavorful, and completely charred, it is a scrumptious plant-based principal dish.
- 2 14-ounce blocks extra-firm tofu
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil* (see be aware), extra for brushing
Seasoning choices (select one)
- 1½ tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce*
Press the tofu. Wrap every block of tofu in a kitchen towel or paper towels. Place a heavy forged iron skillet on high and let it sit for half-hour. This helps squeeze extra water out of the tofu, which retains it from sticking to the grill.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high warmth.
Lower every tofu block into 4 slabs and place on a tray or plate. Drizzle the tofu with the avocado oil and sprinkle together with your desired seasoning*. Use your palms to coat either side.
Brush or spray the grill grates with oil. Grill the tofu for two to three minutes per aspect, or till char marks kind and the tofu releases from the grill grates. Take away from the grill and season to style.
For those who seasoned the tofu with fajita seasoning, chili powder, or curry powder, serve with lime wedges and/or cilantro lime dressing. For those who seasoned the tofu with tamari, serve with extra tamari or sesame ginger dressing. See the weblog put up above for extra serving recommendations.
*If utilizing tamari, there is not any must drizzle the tofu with oil. Simply ensure to grease the grill grates nicely earlier than you place the tofu on the grill.