In the event you’re looking for a straightforward and flavorful dish to make use of up your zucchini, look no additional than this garlic and herb-infused feta cheese zucchini bake. Bursting with oregano, thyme, basil, and garlic, this easy vegetable facet dish bakes in half-hour and doesn’t require any pre-cooking.
I figured you’d recognize a vegetable-packed facet dish in between all of the candy choices. My total household cherished this feta zucchini bake, kids included. Let me present you the way it comes collectively.
Inform Me About This Feta & Herb Zucchini Bake
- Texture: Every chew of this casserole is full of crisp bread crumbs and zucchini that’s baked simply till tender, earlier than it reaches a soggy, over-baked texture. A little bit heavy cream and an egg maintain the zucchini collectively so the dish is like (however not as heavy as) a tacky casserole.
- Taste: Herby, salty, and tangy with a little bit little bit of kick from the elective crimson pepper flakes. In the event you love recent and garlicky herb flavors, you’ll love this one! I take advantage of basil, thyme, and oregano, however be happy to swap in some parsley and/or rosemary.
- Ease: All you’re doing is mixing many of the components collectively and spreading them right into a casserole dish. There’s no pre-cooking required, however the zucchini advantages from a fast 10 minute blot/drain to rid some moisture.
Numerous texture, a lot of taste, little prepwork!
Seize These Components:
Every ingredient has a particular job, so I don’t suggest leaving any out. Nonetheless, be happy to substitute with my recommendations. Right here’s a short rundown so that you perceive the significance of every:
- Feta Cheese: Tangy crumbled feta cheese is my beneficial alternative for this dish, however shredded white cheddar, smoked gouda, Gruyère, or pepper jack for a little bit kick could be nice options.
- Basil, Oregano, & Thyme: Taste! I take advantage of a mixture of recent and dried herbs. See recipe Be aware under.
- Salt & Pepper: Extra taste! Additionally, a little bit salt helps draw out some zucchini moisture in step 1.
- Garlic & Onion: Much more taste!
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs assist give the dish some substance. Combine some in with the zucchini and different components after which high the dish with extra breadcrumbs earlier than baking.
- Egg & Heavy Cream: You want some thick liquid within the combination to assist maintain the zucchini and cheese collectively. 1 egg and a little bit heavy cream turned this right into a tasty, hearty casserole. I don’t suggest any substitutes for the egg, however half-and-half works inside the heavy cream. Milk or something decrease fats wouldn’t be supreme.
- Zucchini: Zucchini varies significantly in dimension. You want 1.5 lbs, which is about 3-4 medium zucchini. After slicing and quartering, you’ll have about 6 cups or 600-700g. No have to peel the zucchini.
- (Optionally available) Shredded Parmesan & Pink Pepper Flakes: To complete off the dish, add some parmesan (or extra feta cheese) on high close to the tip of bake time. Earlier than serving, be happy so as to add a sprinkle of herbs and/or crimson pepper flakes for a bit of warmth.
Success Ideas: Keep away from a Watery Casserole
Zucchini is a really moist ingredient which is why it’s so pretty in baked items… moisture! In fundamental dishes and sides like this feta zucchini bake, nevertheless, all of this moisture may give you a really soggy dish. To fight this:
- Lower the zucchini thick: Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch thick slices and quarter them.
- Blot/drain for 10 minutes: Flippantly sprinkle the zucchini items with salt, place right into a towel-lined colander, cowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Blot evenly, after which use within the recipe.
You additionally need to keep away from over-baking, so comply with the baking instructions under. If baked too lengthy, the zucchini turns into overly mushy to the purpose of tasting mushy.
Combine many of the components collectively in 1 bowl after which unfold right into a greased baking dish:
Need some colour? Chop up a crimson bell pepper and add it proper into the bowl with all the pieces else.
Bake, lined, for 25 minutes after which high with parmesan or extra feta cheese. Return to the oven uncovered for five extra minutes. Garnish with crimson pepper flakes and/or extra herbs for serving.
Serve with These Dinner Favorites
Right now’s feta zucchini bake would pair splendidly with the next:
Bursting with oregano, thyme, basil, and garlic, this easy vegetable facet dish bakes in half-hour and doesn’t require any pre-cooking. To keep away from a soggy dish, draining/blotting the zucchini in step 1 is essential.
- Slice zucchini into 1/2-inch thick slices after which quarter every slice. You need to have a little bit over 6 cups or 600-700g of quartered/chopped zucchini. Sprinkle evenly with salt (reserve the 1/4 teaspoon of salt for step 3… that is only a gentle sprinkle). Line a colander with a clear kitchen towel or paper towels. Place zucchini in lined colander. Let sit for simply 10 minutes. Blot dry as finest you possibly can.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Grease a 2.5-quart baking dish. (See Be aware under for suggestions on finest pans to make use of.)
- In a big bowl, whisk the heavy cream and egg collectively. Stir within the the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, feta cheese, and three Tablespoons (21g) breadcrumbs. Stir within the zucchini. Unfold combination into ready baking dish. High evenly with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake, lined evenly with aluminum foil, for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese. Return to the oven, uncovered, and bake for five extra minutes or till zucchini is tender. For a crispier/browner high, swap the oven to broil and broil for the final 30 seconds. (If skipping the cheese topping, you continue to need to bake the dish for five minutes uncovered.)
- Take away from the oven and sprinkle evenly with crimson pepper flakes, if desired. Leftovers preserve nicely within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Reheat as desired.
- Baking Pan to Use (affiliate hyperlink): Use a baking dish that holds 2.5 quarts, corresponding to a 9-inch sq. baking dish, 9-inch or 10-inch springform pan, or an 11×7 inch pan. The pictured baking dish is the Marin 8×12 inch baking dish from Crate & Barrel.
- Heavy Cream: You should use half-and-half as a substitute, however I strongly suggest heavy cream. Don’t use milk.
- Herbs: Be at liberty to substitute different herbs corresponding to rosemary or parsley.
- Cheese: Tangy crumbled feta cheese is my beneficial alternative for this dish, however shredded white cheddar, smoked gouda, Gruyère, or pepper jack for a little bit kick could be nice options.
Key phrases: feta herb zucchini bake, zucchini facet dish
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.