My conventional Chocolate Mousse is a silky, ethereal dessert positive to impress any visitor. Whereas it could look fancy, this recipe takes solely quarter-hour to prep with a number of pantry staples. Recipe features a how-to video!
Fluffy, From-Scratch Chocolate Mousse
Whereas this chocolate mousse recipe will make you feel and look like fancy French pastry chef, you don’t want a culinary diploma to make it. Actually, it’s just a bit extra sophisticated than a chocolate pudding, however the outcomes are rather more spectacular.
My recipe has the basic silky and ethereal texture created by whipped egg whites and whipped cream. Its wealthy chocolate taste is decadent, however not too candy, and it appears so elegant served with a dollop of whipped cream (or chocolate whipped cream) and chocolate shavings.
Honest warning: this chocolate mousse recipe does create a number of dishes, however it’s 100% value it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- It’s fast and simple with simply quarter-hour of prep work.
- Will be served in glass jars, martini glasses, ramekins, espresso cups–no matter you have got readily available.
- It wants no less than 2-3 hours to sit back earlier than serving, so it’s excellent for making forward of time.
What You Want
As a result of chocolate mousse makes use of only a few elements, it’s essential that every one is top of the range. Let’s spotlight a number of:
- Eggs. To maintain with custom, we’re utilizing uncooked eggs on this mousse recipe. There isn’t a cooking step, so the eggs will nonetheless be uncooked within the last product. For those who’re uncomfortable with this or just can not eat uncooked eggs for well being causes, go away me a remark and let me know, I’ll work on an alternate model that you simply’ll have the ability to get pleasure from too!
- Chocolate. Use a top quality baking bar for this recipe; I like to make use of 60% Ghirardelli chocolate bar. Whereas chocolate chips might work, I don’t advocate utilizing them as they’re a decrease high quality chocolate and include added elements we don’t want right here.
- Prompt espresso powder. A small pinch enhances the chocolate taste of the mousse with out making it style like espresso. Non-obligatory, however sooo good!
SAM’S TIP: I wish to garnish my mousse with chocolate shavings for a cultured look. To do that, you may grate a chocolate bar with a microplane, or you need to use a vegetable peeler to create fairly chocolate curls.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
Learn how to Make Chocolate Mousse
- Soften the chocolate and butter collectively in a microwave protected bowl, then stir within the espresso powder.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks, setting the whites apart for later and mixing the yolks with 1 Tablespoon of sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Whisk the egg yolk combination vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Fold the melted chocolate combination into the egg yolk combination in three components.
- Whip the egg whites till foamy, then steadily add the sugar and cease whipping while you attain stiff peaks.
- Add a few of the egg whites to the chocolate combination and stir till mixed, then gently fold within the remaining egg whites.
- Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks, then gently fold that into the mousse combination till mixed.
- Divide the mousse into your serving dishes, cowl, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Serve with further whipped cream.
SAM’S TIP: Do NOT add all the whipped egg whites directly! To assist the egg whites and chocolate combination come collectively simpler and extra easily, we’ll “mood” the chocolate combination by including simply a few of the egg whites at first. This loosens up the chocolate combination and makes it a lot simpler to stir, which is able to assist us incorporate the remaining egg whites (with out deflating them).
Often Requested Questions
The tactic I’m sharing right this moment is the normal solution to make chocolate mousse. As a result of it’s made out of uncooked egg, I don’t advocate consuming this mousse in case you have a compromised immune system or in case you are pregnant.
For those who’re focused on an eggless or cooked egg model (much like what I did with my tiramisu), let me know within the feedback beneath.
Chocolate mousse tastes finest when served instantly after chilling. For those who’re not consuming it instantly, cowl it tightly and maintain it within the fridge for as much as two days. You can too freeze your mousse for a number of months.
It seems like your mousse could not have been whipped to stiff peaks. Try my meringue cookies put up for a photograph of what stiff peaks appear like.
Completely value all the additional dishes, proper?
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! For those who do this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Fb
Excellent Chocolate Mousse
Servings: 6 servings (roughly ⅔ cup per serving)
Whipped Cream Topping (non-compulsory)
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Mix chopped chocolate and butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Warmth in 20-25 second intervals, stirring nicely in between, till elements are fully melted and combination is clean when stirred. If utilizing espresso powder, stir that in right here as nicely. Put aside.
In a separate massive bowl, mix egg yolks, 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk vigorously for about 30 seconds, till elements are lightened in coloration and barely thickened.
Add the chocolate combination into egg yolk combination in 3 components, whisking nicely after every addition till fully mixed. Put aside.
Pour egg whites in one other massive, clear, dry, bowl, and use an electrical mixer to beat till foamy. Slowly enhance mixer velocity to medium-high and add remaining sugar, about half a Tablespoon at a time (permitting about 10-15 seconds after every addition), till all sugar has been added and combination reaches stiff peaks (see be aware in case you have questions on stiff peaks).
Stir your chocolate combination, then take a big spoonful (about ⅓-½ cup) of the egg white combination and use a spatula to stir into the chocolate till fully mixed to make it free and simple to stir (the combination ought to circulate simply off the spatula). If the combination remains to be thick, add a bit extra egg whites.
Progressively, gently fold the remaining egg whites into the chocolate combination. Don’t over-mix and be as light-handed about this as potential. Just a few streaks remaining are effective.
In yet one more bowl (sure, all of those dishes are value it, I promise!) whip heavy cream on high-speed with an electrical mixer till you attain stiff peaks.
Use a spatula to fold whipped cream into chocolate mousse combination (once more, being light and never over-mixing) till mixed.
Instantly divide mousse into ramekins or serving dishes. Cowl and refrigerate for no less than 2-3 hours and as much as 2 days earlier than topping with whipped cream (directions beneath) and serving.
Mix heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a big bowl. Use an electrical mixer to beat till stiff peaks are simply achieved.
Dollop over chocolate mousse earlier than serving.
Mousse could also be coated and frozen within the container for as much as a number of months. When able to serve, let thaw (coated) within the fridge in a single day.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 37g | Saturated Fats: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 11g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 202mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 295mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.