This hearty and scrumptious Do-it-yourself Rooster Pot Pie could also be the perfect consolation meals you’ll ever style! It’s good on a cold winter’s evening. The hen and greens are bathed in a wealthy creamy sauce then topped with probably the most beautiful, flaky goat cheese biscuits or canned Buttermilk Flaky Layers Biscuits should you want a shortcut.
When the temperatures plummet, and also you’re craving one thing heat and comforting, give this Rooster Pot Pie Casserole a strive! It’s going to get rave opinions!!
Why Your Household Will Love this Creamy Rooster Casserole
- Rooster Pot Pie is the epitome of consolation meals.
- It’s a full meal in a single dish. There may be meat, greens, and starch in each serving.
- It’s simply tailored to make use of your favourite greens and toppings. Skip the mushrooms. High with selfmade or canned biscuits.
I had a log of herb and garlic goat cheese within the fridge and I made a decision to make my favourite Goat Cheese Biscuits with a twist for the of entirety this time. The ensuing Do-it-yourself Rooster Pot Pie was wonderful!
The right way to Make Rooster Pot Pie
There may be nothing sophisticated about making pot pies, although there are a variety of steps and some soiled dishes. Right here’s the lowdown:
- Saute your greens in oil and set them apart.
- Make a white sauce with butter, flour, and hen broth. Add seasonings.
- Add the sauteed greens and peas. Combine in your cooked hen and place it within the casserole dish.
- Make your biscuits. After all, you possibly can all the time use canned biscuits, however selfmade is significantly better!
- High the casserole with the biscuits whereas the hen filling is sizzling. It will assist the biscuits rise from all sides. PRO-Tip: In case your pot pie filling has cooled down, microwave it for a bit earlier than including the biscuit topping.
- Bake as directed.
The right way to Make a Rooster Casserole Filling
- Earlier than you begin, make certain your hen is cooked and reduce into cubes. This may be rotisserie hen, leftover hen, or poached boneless, skinless hen breasts. I like to do that the day earlier than so it’s able to go.
- Subsequent, chop and prepare dinner all of the greens so that they’re comfortable as they gained’t be within the oven lengthy sufficient to totally prepare dinner. Don’t precook the peas as they’ll flip grey after being within the oven.
- Lastly, make the sauce. It’s a fundamental white sauce, enhanced with sherry and recent thyme. PRO-Tip: I like to recommend utilizing Surprise flour should you don’t make lots of sauces or gravy. It’s a granular flour by Gold Medal that doesn’t get lumpy.
- To make the sauce, soften the butter, then whisk in and prepare dinner the flour to take away any uncooked flour style. Slowly whisk within the milk and hen broth and preserve whisking till thickened. Add the sherry, then style and add salt and pepper if wanted.
- PRO-Tip: Like salt, alcohol will improve the flavour of the sauce. Should you’re apprehensive about serving alcohol to your kids, simply prepare dinner it a couple of further minutes and the alcohol will evaporate. After all, you possibly can skip this addition, too, if that’s your choice.
- Add the hen, reserved greens, and peas to the sauce. Then make the biscuits.
The right way to make Buttermilk Biscuits
- I’ve topped this pot pie recipe with each goat cheese biscuits or my favourite buttermilk biscuit recipe. Each are flaky and scrumptious and work properly.
- There may be an artwork to creating flaky biscuits. First, relying on the recipe, your butter, shortening, and buttermilk needs to be very chilly.
- The fats needs to be labored into the dry components rapidly so it stays chilly. I like utilizing my arms to press the items of butter and/or shortening into flat items utilizing my fingers. Then utilizing a pastry blender or a few knives, mix till the combination is the consistency of cornmeal.
- Combine within the buttermilk to type the dough.
- Pat the dough out on a well-floured floor. I wish to fold the dough over itself a few instances to assist make extra layers. A floured rolling pin may help even out the dough earlier than slicing.
- Use a biscuit cutter dipped in flour to chop out 12 rounds. PRO-Tip: Don’t twist the cutter, however as a substitute, reduce straight down. It will make for taller biscuits. High the casserole and brush the biscuit tops with melted butter earlier than baking.
- PRO-Tip: Should you don’t have buttermilk readily available, you possibly can simply make your individual at house. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, white or cider vinegar to a one-cup liquid measuring cup. Fill the cup with milk to the one-cup mark. Let relaxation a few minutes, stir, then use it as an alternative.
Often Requested Questions
How Lengthy to Bake a Rooster Pot Pie?
Because the filling is sizzling and the hen is precooked, this simple hen pot pie solely takes about 14 minutes in a sizzling oven. The objective is to prepare dinner the biscuits, so as soon as they’ve risen and are browned, the casserole is completed. Once more, make certain the filling is sizzling earlier than including the biscuits and baking the pot pie.
Earlier than you pull the casserole out of the oven, fastidiously elevate up one of many biscuits with a fork to verify the underside just isn’t doughy. Whether it is, proceed cooking for at the very least 5 extra minutes.
Are Pot Pies wholesome?
Though the cream sauce is made with milk, not cream, the biscuit topping does add some energy to this entree. Alterative toppings embody canned biscuits or butter flake rolls reduce in half, puff pastry, or a pie crust. Utilizing a pie crust might be the least caloric of the three choices.
Consider a hen pot pie casserole as consolation meals, not an entree that you just make each week should you’re apprehensive concerning the energy.
How do you reheat pot pies?
Use the microwave or the oven. Scoop out your serving, then microwave for a minute or two till it’s heated by way of. To maintain the topping crisp, reheat the pot pie in a 300º oven till it’s heated by way of.
The Finest Rooster Pot Pie Recipe
Wow. Was this delicious. The selfmade biscuits had been phenomenal. A must-try recipe. They had been mild, moist and flavorful. There is no such thing as a higher hen pot pie recipe. That is it. And the hubby agreed. Who knew goat cheese can be a simple promote. Possibly I’m lastly rubbing off on him after 2+ many years of residing with a foodie. About time!
What to Serve with Rooster Pot Pie
Since a pot pie has meat, greens, and starch, it’s virtually a complete meal in a single casserole. Including a inexperienced salad like my finest Caesar salad recipe or a refreshing gazpacho salad is a pleasant distinction to the filling entree. Should you’re searching for a beef model, take a look at this Marsala Mushroom Beef Pot Pie from Huge Bear’s Spouse.
You will discover extra of the Finest Rooster Recipes in my recipe index.
- 4 boneless skinless hen breasts, poached and chopped
- 2 cups hen broth
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 pink bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- Salt and freshly floor black pepper, to style
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour, I take advantage of Wondra for a smoother sauce
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon recent thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Biscuit recipe tailored from Artwork Smith (or use a 16.3 oz Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Flaky Biscuits (reduce in half and positioned reduce aspect down throughout the floor of the casserole).:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chilly butter, reduce into small items
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) good high quality goat herb and garlic goat cheese, reduce into small piece
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1 tablespoon melted butter to brush on biscuits
- Warmth oil in a Dutch oven. Add onions, celery, and carrots and prepare dinner for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and prepare dinner until all veggies are comfortable. Season with salt and pepper and take away from pot to bowl.
- Warmth butter within the pan after which add flour. Prepare dinner for a few minute, then slowly whisk in milk and hen broth.
- Add thyme and proceed to prepare dinner and whisk until thickened.
- Add sherry, then style for seasoning and add salt and pepper to style.
- Add chopped hen, reserved veggies, and peas to the sauce. Combine then pour in a casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Make biscuits.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt right into a medium bowl. Add butter and goat cheese and with fingers, pinch and break aside items until the combination has the consistency of cornmeal…some larger items are OK.
- Add buttermilk and gently combine to type the dough. Chances are you’ll add an additional tablespoon of buttermilk if wanted.
- Pat out dough on a floured floor. Minimize into rounds and place over sizzling filling. Brush with melted butter. Place casserole on a baking sheet to catch drips.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until biscuits are browned.
Use my buttermilk biscuit recipe if you do not have goat cheese readily available. Or for a shortcut, use canned biscuits discovered within the fridge part of the grocery retailer.
This Rooster Pot Pie recipe is tailored from Pam Anderson.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 688Complete Fats: 31gSaturated Fats: 14gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 15gLdl cholesterol: 123mgSodium: 1457mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 40g