This creamy Thai Shrimp Bisque combines the flavour of luxurious tomato bisque with savory tropical shrimp. A touch of ginger, coconut, and citrus elevates the recipe, whereas cream cheese provides a wealthy, velvety texture!
Creamy Shrimp Bisque with a Tropical Twist
Soup is at all times a good suggestion – sure, even in heat climate! All you want is the precise recipe, and let me let you know, this creamy shrimp bisque is without doubt one of the finest. Juicy pink shrimp are cooked up in an ultra-creamy tomato bisque, flavored with dry sherry, contemporary ginger and garlic, lime, coconut, and extra. It’s the right dish for seafood lovers.
And though it could sound (and style) like a gourmand masterpiece, it’s additionally tremendous simple to make. With a 25-minute cook dinner time, this can be a mouthwatering dish you can also make even on a busy weeknight. Neglect shrimp on the barbie, and make this Thai-inspired soup as an alternative!
What’s the Distinction Between Soup and Bisque?
Is a bisque a soup? A chowder? One thing else completely? It’s an fascinating query! Mainly, each bisques and chowders are thick, creamy soups (besides Manhattan clam chowder, which is extra of a broth-based soup). Nevertheless, chowders normally have a lot of chunky veggies, like potatoes, and don’t usually comprise wine or spirits. Bisques are sometimes clean with out many (or any) chunks, and normally comprise sherry or one thing related.
The Record of Elements
Every ultra-creamy spoonful of this bisque is sort of a get together in your mouth, because of the fragile shrimp, creamy tomato base, and vibrant aromatics. So good!
- Oil: For sauteing. I take advantage of olive oil, however ghee or coconut oil can be fantastic, too.
- Onion: Cube up about half a cup of onion so as to add savory sweetness.
- Ginger and Garlic: Contemporary minced garlic and finely grated ginger make this recipe so addictive!
- Flour: For thickening. Cornstarch or arrowroot powder could be substituted as an alternative.
- Tomato Paste: Keep in mind to make use of paste, not sauce, for a deep and wealthy style.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: You should utilize common tomatoes, however fire-roasted tomatoes are even higher!
- Shrimp Bouillon: For those who don’t have shrimp bouillon, you should use hen bouillon as an alternative.
- Water: Water thins the bisque to the precise consistency. If you wish to add extra taste, strive utilizing clam juice rather than the water.
- Dry Sherry: Spirits like sherry or brandy are conventional in bisques. For those who want a substitution, I like to recommend clam juice or broth.
- Shrimp: Peel and devein the shrimp, after which slice them in half lengthwise.
- Cream Cheese: Reduce half a block (4 ounces) of cream cheese into cubes. Heavy cream can be fantastic to make use of, as an alternative of cream cheese, however it isn’t as tangy.
- Coconut Milk: Canned is ok.
- Lime Zest: You’ll want some for the bisque, and a few for garnish.
- Herbs: Minced contemporary herbs are a aromatic and delightful garnish. I like to recommend cilantro, mint, and/or basil.
- Avocado: Additionally for garnish – dice or slice the avocado.
For those who’ve by no means made bisque earlier than, that is the right recipe to start out with. It’s extremely simple and fast to tug collectively, and the style is out of this world. Let’s get cookin’!
- Saute the Aromatics. To start out, warmth a small quantity of oil in a big saucepan. Add the oil, garlic, and ginger, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the Flour and Tomato Paste. Subsequent, stir within the flour to make a form of paste with the oil and different elements. Cook dinner this for a minute or so, after which stir within the tomato paste as nicely. Stir nicely to mix the whole lot collectively.
- Add the Tomatoes. At this level, you’ll wish to add the can of undrained tomatoes. Give this a brisk stir to get the tomato and flour paste blended in. Let the soup simmer for a few minutes, after which mix with an immersion blender if you need a clean base for the bisque.
- Add the Bouillon, Water, and Sherry. Stir the shrimp bouillon, water (or clam juice, for those who’re utilizing that), and the dry sherry. Let this simmer for about ten minutes.
- End the Soup. Now it’s time so as to add the previous few objects! Add the cream cheese and let it soften, stirring to mix. Comply with up along with your coconut milk, and the shrimp items. Simmer the soup for about 7 minutes extra, to let the flavors mix and the shrimp cook dinner by means of. Don’t let the shrimp overcook, or it is going to be rubbery and difficult. Sprinkle half of the lime zest into the soup, and ladle into bowls.
- Get pleasure from! Serve your soup with garnishes of the remaining lime zest, the contemporary herbs, and the avocado.
Can I Use Frozen Shrimp?
Undoubtedly! Except you reside close to the coast, you could wrestle to search out contemporary shrimp which might be really contemporary and good high quality. If that’s the case, there’s no downside in any respect with utilizing frozen!
The truth is, frozen seafood is prone to be higher high quality as soon as thawed than “contemporary” seafood that’s been sitting behind the counter all day. Simply thaw your shrimp within the fridge earlier than you utilize them.
Whereas some recipes for shrimp bisque could be complicated, this one could be very easy. For those who make it as soon as, you’ll undoubtedly add it to your listing of favorites! Plus, these useful ideas gives you much more inside information to maintain this recipe as easy (and engaging) as potential.
- To Peel or To not Peel: Genuine bisque is made with shellfish, so utilizing shrimp with their shells on is completely fantastic. The shells will even add taste to the soup. Nevertheless, the shrimp will then must be taken out of the soup and peeled, so I feel it’s simpler to make the soup with peeled and deveined shrimp, and add shrimp bouillon to spice up the flavour.
- Sherry Substitutes: Though bisque is normally made with dry sherry, you possibly can substitute clam juice or broth as an alternative. Clam juice is normally discovered close to the canned tuna and shrimp in most grocery shops.
- Mix It Clean(er): For those who like your bisque fully clean, you possibly can mix it after including the shrimp to make an ultra-creamy dish with no chunks.
Shrimp bisque is a particular meal, and with its tropical notes, this model is very flavorful and aromatic. It’s best served with easy sides, or perhaps a starter and a aspect of bread. These simple recipes will make your meal deliciously memorable:
- Salad: A plain inexperienced salad could be served earlier than or alongside the soup – however for those who’d love to do one thing a bit completely different, strive making this Creamy Waldorf Salad and serving it as a light-weight, candy starter. Yum!
- Bread: A thinly-sliced and toasted baguette can be excellent with this recipe, or perhaps some crunchy croutons for dropping proper in your bowl. By no means made your personal croutons? Strive these Garlic and Herb Selfmade Croutons and luxuriate in!
- Veggies: Increase the veggie content material of your meal by serving Air Fryer Asparagus, steamed broccoli, or a luscious coleslaw.
The way to Retailer and Reheat Leftover Shrimp Bisque
Leftovers could be saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days. An hermetic container will preserve the soup contemporary and forestall it from absorbing different scents and tastes!
Can I Freeze This?
Sure, you possibly can freeze shrimp bisque – simply cool it down after which retailer it in freezer containers. It’ll preserve in your freezer for as much as 6 months. Thaw within the fridge earlier than reheating. The feel is probably not fairly as creamy when reheated, however stirring nicely because it heats will assist.
Cook dinner Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced contemporary ginger
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) jar diced tomatoes (fireplace roasted are nice)
- 2 teaspoons shrimp bouillon
- 1 cup water (or clam juice)
- ½ cup dry sherry (or clam juice)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, then sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, divided
- 4 tablespoons minced contemporary herbs (cilantro, mint, and/or basil)
- 1 avocado, cubed/sliced, for garnish
- Warmth the oil in a big saucepan on the range. Add the oil, garlic, and ginger, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour, and stir for a minute. Then stir within the tomato paste.
- Add the diced tomatoes and let the soup simmer for a few minutes. If a clean bisque is desired, mix the soup with an immersion blender at this level.
- Add the bouillon, water (or clam juice), and dry sherry. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and let it soften, stirring to mix. Pour within the coconut milk, and add the shrimp items. Simmer for 7 minutes, or till the shrimp are agency and opaque, however not rubbery.
- Sprinkle half of the zest into the soup, and stir.
- Serve every bowl with garnishes of zest, herbs, and avocado.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. To freeze, cool the soup fully and switch to an hermetic container. Freeze for as much as 6 months. Defrost and reheat to serve.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 564Whole Fats: 38gSaturated Fats: 19gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 16gLdl cholesterol: 271mgSodium: 1554mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g
Extra Flavorful Seafood Recipes
This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.