Learn to make coconut rice with 2 easy elements! It is wealthy, aromatic, and crammed with buttery coconut taste. A scrumptious facet dish for any meal!
In my first cookbook, I shared a recipe for Coconut Rice with Brussels Sprouts. It was an on the spot hit after the e book got here out, and it’s remained a reader-favorite recipe to today. As a lot as individuals love Brussels sprouts, I believe that the recipe’s recognition isn’t actually due to the veggies. It’s due to the coconut rice.
I imply, how may it not be? Coconut rice is wealthy and aromatic, with a candy, buttery coconut taste. It’s unbelievable in bowls and as a facet dish, but it surely tastes so good that I may eat forkful after forkful straight from the pot.
You’ll discover my primary coconut rice recipe under. Coconut rice is eaten all through South and Central America, Southeast Asia, and West Africa, and every of those areas prepares it barely in another way. This model isn’t a riff on coconut rice from any of those locations particularly, however it’s impressed by the scrumptious mixture of rice and coconut milk loved in all of them.
Coconut Rice Recipe Elements
To make this recipe, you’ll want 2 easy elements:
- Jasmine rice – This Thai lengthy grain white rice has a fluffy texture and fragrant taste that makes it good for this recipe.
- Full-fat coconut milk – The canned variety, please! Cartoned coconut milk is commonly sweetened or watered down, so it received’t ship the wealthy coconut taste we would like on this recipe.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Coconut Rice Recipe Ideas
- Rinse the rice. This must be your first step everytime you prepare dinner rice – whether or not it’s plain white rice, brown rice, or black. It removes starches that may trigger the rice to clump up because it cooks. I wish to rinse my rice by inserting it in a effective mesh strainer set over a big bowl. Then, I rinse it in cool operating water till the water within the bowl runs clear.
- Coconut milk separated? Don’t fear about it. If you open a can of coconut milk, you may not discover a easy, creamy milk inside. As a substitute, you’ll probably see a thick layer of solids on prime of a watery liquid. That’s completely effective! Dump the separated coconut milk into your pot, and proceed with the recipe. The solids will soften down because the pot heats up. Simply ensure you give every part stir earlier than you cowl the pot and scale back the warmth.
- You’ll be able to management the richness and taste. My favourite methodology for tips on how to make coconut rice is the one within the recipe under: I prepare dinner one cup of rice in a single can of coconut milk. It yields very wealthy rice with a strong coconut taste, which I completely love. However when you want lighter rice with a milder taste, that works, too! Substitute gentle coconut milk for full-fat, or prepare dinner the rice in a combination of three/4 cup coconut milk and three/4 cup water.
Coconut Rice Serving Recommendations
The only approach to get pleasure from this recipe is as a facet dish. Earlier than serving, I wish to fluff the rice and toss it with sea salt, lime juice and zest, and chopped cilantro for additional taste (it additionally tastes unbelievable with the seasonings in this cilantro lime rice recipe). Pair it with any protein you want. We find it irresistible with this crispy sesame tofu.
This coconut rice is a superb base for a rice bowl, too. Attempt utilizing it in this vegan burrito bowl, this mango ginger rice bowl, or this tofu broccoli bowl. Or make your personal bowl! Begin with a scoop of the rice. Then, select a element from every of those classes:
Cease there, or take it excessive with garnishes like pickled onions or contemporary cilantro. Have enjoyable discovering a mixture you’re keen on!
Extra Favourite Rice Recipes
This coconut rice recipe is a simple, scrumptious facet dish! Benefit from the wealthy, aromatic rice plain, or season it with lime and cilantro for a punchier, brisker taste.
- 1 cup raw lengthy grain jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk*
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Chopped cashews
Mix the rice and coconut milk in a pot and convey to a boil. Cowl, scale back the warmth, and simmer for quarter-hour, or till the liquid is absorbed.
Take away from the warmth and let sit, coated, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Use in your favourite recipe that requires coconut rice, or stir within the salt, lime juice and zest, and cilantro. Season to style. Sprinkle with cashews and function a facet dish.
*For fluffier rice with a milder coconut taste, use a mixture of coconut milk and water. Exchange the can of coconut milk with 3/4 cup water and three/4 cup coconut milk.