First dreamed up by Californian Harry Baker, chiffon cake is legendary for its lighter-than-air texture. This fluffy base works splendidly with a kiss of citrus, like lemon, lime, or orange on this Citrus Chiffon Cake. We opted to make use of all three, giving this cake a decidedly sunny disposition.
Citrus Chiffon Cake
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) packed lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons (3 grams) packed lime zest
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) unbleached cake flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 7 massive eggs (350 grams), separated and room temperature
- ½ cup (112 grams) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (120 grams) recent orange juice
- ¼ cup (60 grams) recent lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) cream of tartar
- Citrus Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a big bowl, stir collectively 1 cup (200 grams) sugar and zests till effectively mixed. Whisk in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks at medium-high velocity till doubled in quantity, about 3 minutes. Cut back mixer velocity to medium, and add oil in a sluggish, regular stream, beating till mixed. Cut back mixer velocity to low, and add orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla, beating till mixed. Switch to a different massive bowl.
- Clear bowl of stand mixer and whisk attachment. Utilizing the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium velocity till mushy peaks kind, about 2 minutes. With mixer on low velocity, add remaining ½ cup (100 grams) sugar in a sluggish, regular stream, beating till mixed. Improve mixer velocity to medium-high, and beat till medium-soft peaks kind, about 2 minutes.
- Utilizing a balloon whisk, step by step fold flour combination into egg yolk combination till mixed. Fold egg white combination into egg yolk combination in three additions. Pour batter right into a 10-inch removable-bottom tube pan. Gently run a knife by way of batter to launch any air bubbles.
- Bake till golden brown and a picket choose inserted close to middle comes out clear, about 55 minutes. Instantly invert pan (onto a bottle if wanted; see Notice), and let cool fully.
- Utilizing an offset spatula, loosen cake from sides and backside of pan. Take away from pan, and switch to a cake plate. Spoon Citrus Glaze on prime of cake, letting glaze run down sides.
Notice: In case your pan doesn’t have prongs to help it, relaxation it on the slender neck of a full glass bottle, like a wine bottle. You flip the pan the other way up to make sure that your freshly baked cake doesn’t sink when cooling.
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) recent orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) recent lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively all components till easy. Use instantly.