A chocolate lover’s dream, these tender Chocolate Scones are full of chocolate chips and cloaked in a wealthy chocolate glaze. This recipe makes use of a meals processor for fast and simple scones in simply half-hour. Don’t overlook to observe the how-to video!
Completely Chocolatey Chocolate Scones
If consuming chocolate for breakfast is your factor you then’re going to like these chocolate scones. This was truly my first scone recipe on the weblog, and in the present day I’m sharing an up to date model that makes tastier, extra chocolatey, and simpler to organize scones.
These not-new-but-improved chocolate scones are splendidly tender with buttery, flaky interiors (just like my biscuit recipe, although the layers aren’t fairly as intense), and a wealthy chocolate glaze. They’re the darkish and dreamy sister to my traditional scone recipe, and so they’re SO easy to make. I make mine with a meals processor, however with a bit of additional elbow grease, they’ll positively be made with out one too (I’ve included notes on how to take action under).
The important thing method for completely layered scones is the lamination (folding the dough over itself repeatedly), however even that isn’t tough. I take advantage of this method in my strawberry shortcakes and puff pastry too, and it creates probably the most lovely, buttery layers. It’s completely definitely worth the effort!
You’ll love these scones as a result of:
- They’re straightforward to make (particularly with a meals processor).
- With cocoa within the dough and the glaze, plus two sorts of chocolate chips all through, they’re completely chocolatey.
- The dough may be made prematurely, so you possibly can pop it in your fridge and luxuriate in heat scones for breakfast anytime.
- They’re completely candy with out being overly decadent (so that you don’t really feel too responsible having fun with them for breakfast or brunch!)
What You Want
You solely want a couple of pantry staples to make my chocolate scones. Listed below are a few of the essential ones!
- Cocoa powder. I like to recommend pure cocoa powder right here. That is my most well-liked cocoa for a lot of of my chocolate recipes, from my chocolate cake to my chocolate crepes. Dutch course of may very well be used, however the taste is not going to be the identical.
- Chilly butter and cream. Conserving these components chilly is key! The colder the butter, the lighter, fluffier, and extra tender the inside of your scones will probably be. I truly wish to freeze my butter for about 15-20 minutes earlier than I begin baking to ensure it’s additional chilly!
- Baking powder. Be certain your baking powder is contemporary–unhealthy baking powder will have an effect on how your chocolate scones rise and will make them style bitter.
- Chocolate chips. I take advantage of a mix of standard and mini semisweet chips. Peanut butter or white chocolate chips can be nice too!
SAM’S TIP: Overbaked scones will probably be dry and arduous, so take note of them whereas they’re within the oven.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
Make Chocolate Scones
- Mix the dry components in a meals processor, then add the butter and pulse in 1-second increments to chop it in.
- Add the cream and vanilla and pulse once more till dough the begins to clings to itself.
- Flip your dough out onto a flippantly floured floor, add the chocolate chips, and briefly work them in.
- Start laminating by folding your dough over itself, turning, and repeating about 5-6 instances.
- Kind the dough right into a 1″ thick disc.
- Use a pointy knife and lower the disc into 8 equal wedges, then switch the scones to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-Quarter-hour and let scones cool fully on the baking sheet.
- Mix the glaze components and drizzle it over the cooled scones.
SAM’S TIP: When reducing your scones into wedges, press straight down together with your knife. Sawing into the dough may cause the scones to topple over within the oven. It’s also possible to lower your chocolate scones into squares, circles, or any form utilizing a glass or cookie cutter–simply be certain that to press straight down with them too!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Usually this occurs on account of butter or cream that’s too heat, overworking the dough, or unhealthy baking powder. Take care to not overwork or over-handle the dough when laminating, use chilly components, and at all times use high-quality, contemporary baking powder–I take advantage of generic with many components however in relation to baking powder I like to recommend avoiding the shop manufacturers.
When you’re been a fan of my website for some time, you’ll discover this up to date recipe now not contains an egg. My authentic chocolate scones included an egg to counteract the drying nature of the cocoa powder. I’ve since reworked the recipe to be completely moist with out the egg, as I discover that scones are lighter, fluffier, and extra buttery with out it!
Certain! These chocolate scones style nice with or with out the chocolate glaze (just like the glaze I used on my chocolate pop tarts). When you do selected to skip it although, I extremely suggest brushing them with cream and sprinkling with sugar as an alternative.
You’re solely half-hour away from the butteriest, flakiest, greatest chocolate scones you’ve ever had!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! When you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Fb
Servings: 8 scones
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
Within the basin of a meals processor (see notice should you do not need a meals processor) mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt and pulse to mix.
Scatter chilly butter items over dry components and pulse till butter is lower into the flour combination and solely pea-sized items stay.
Drizzle heavy cream and vanilla extract over combination and pulse till combination is starting to cling collectively.
Flip dough out onto a clear, flippantly floured floor and sprinkle chocolate chips overtop.
Use your palms to shortly work dough collectively and work the chips into the dough (attempt to keep away from over-handling or overworking the dough as a lot as attainable, as this could trigger the butter to change into too heat and might diminish the flakiness of your scones!).
Fold dough in half over itself and gently press the layers collectively. Rotate dough 90 levels and fold in half once more, repeating till you’ve gotten achieved 5-6 folds.
Kind the dough right into a disk about 1” (2.5cm) thick by 6” (15cm) spherical and lower into 8 wedges by urgent straight down with a big sharp knife (don’t noticed via the dough, which might trigger the scones to topple over whereas they bake).
Switch wedges to ready baking sheet, spacing 2” aside. If desired, pop within the freezer for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than baking (this helps them preserve their form a bit higher).
Switch scones to 375F (190C) oven and bake for 14-Quarter-hour, till baked via.
Permit scones to chill fully on baking sheet earlier than drizzling with glaze (if desired).
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively powdered sugar, cocoa powder, 2 Tablespoons of milk, and vanilla extract. If glaze is just too thick (it ought to ribbon off the whisk and maintain its form for a second or two earlier than dissolving again into the bowl), add further milk as wanted.
Drizzle scones with chocolate glaze and permit glaze to dry earlier than having fun with.
When you don’t have a meals processor, you can also make the scones by whisking collectively the dry components in a bowl then utilizing a pastry cutter or grater to chop the chilly butter into the dry components. Then use a picket spoon to work the cream and vanilla into the combination. Chances are you’ll want to make use of your palms or add a splash extra cream to get the components to work collectively right into a cohesive dough because the dough is sort of dry when made by hand.
Making dough prematurely
You’ll be able to put together the dough prematurely. Kind right into a disc as indicated in step 8, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and retailer within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days earlier than reducing and baking as indicated.
Chocolate scones are greatest loved contemporary (even higher heat!) however will preserve in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as three days. I don’t suggest refrigerating, however you might freeze fully cooled scones (glazed or unglazed) tightly wrapped in an hermetic container for a number of months.
Serving: 1scone | Energy: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 22g | Saturated Fats: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 585IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 3mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.