I see quite a lot of, let’s say, regrettable takes on-line. I’m on Twitter, for god’s sake. However I noticed one this week about how my new favourite film, Hearth Island, is an F- (lolz) on the Bechdel check. Pals, in the event you glean nothing extra from me this week, please know that if a gaggle of marginalized folks make a film collectively about their lived expertise they usually don’t additionally embrace two girls speaking to one another, it might probably nonetheless be a fantastic film. And with that, listed here are your hyperlinks!
• Longtime listeners will know I’m obsessive about Las Culturistas, the podcast of pals, Bowen Yang and Matt Rogers. Effectively, they’re in a film collectively and it’s pleasant. You’ve in all probability seen it on your whole faves’ IG tales this week. Here’s what the LA Occasions has to say about Hearth Island, which I wholeheartedly give an A+ on the Bechdel check. (Apple Podcasts)
• Seems, my pals are studying romance. Smut lady summer time? I posed a query in my Instagram tales final week asking what everybody needs to learn this summer time. Spoiler alert: the reply is filth. Right here is your official summer time studying checklist! (The Blonde Mule)
• Vallery Lomas (who’s cookbook is GREAT btw) is exhibiting us the way to make a straightforward “shortcut” triple chocolate mousse. Sure, sure I’ll make this. (Bookshop.org, Higher Properties & Gardens)
• Virginia Sole-Smith, the hero behind Denims Science, put out a podcast episode this week concerning the intersection of magnificence tradition and weight loss plan tradition. If you happen to’ve ever questioned if all magnificence reporting is paid advertising and marketing, or if fatphobia and ageism are associated… That is for you. (Substack)
• I’ve quite a lot of pals who’ve quietly gotten sober over the pandemic. One in all my favourite pals, Natalie Lima, wrote about getting sober once more for Catapult journal’s new essay sequence, I Give Up. (Catapult)
• I’m sufficiently old to recollect when it was fashionable to (air quotes) ‘imagine girls’. It’s been disappointing to listen to unhealthy take after unhealthy take from so many (air quotes) ‘well-meaning’ of us concerning the Amber Heard and Johnny Depp trial. Jessica Valenti is all the time a voice that rises above the fray in these conditions, as she is right here in her Substack.
• I used to be studying Beforehand On, one of many newsletters by R. Eric Thomas, and he writes about movie star memoirs and the way nice they’re as audiobooks. I instantly considered how a lot I beloved the audiobook of Mariah’s Carey’s memoir, and Dave Grohl’s, and David Chang’s, and and and… You get the purpose. (Bulletin)
• It’s hand sunscreen season. Keep in mind Birchbox? Man, I used to journey so onerous for Birchbox. RIP pre-pandemic me. I obtained a pattern of this Supergoop! Handscreen and I beloved it a lot I certain did spend $38 available lotion. If you happen to drive so much in the summertime, you might need to make investments on this. (Sephora)
• As a few of you understand, I host a podcast referred to as Ladyland and we’ve made a brief video sequence. The primary three movies are out and I might love so that you can watch them. We’re taking a brief break to report some podcast episodes after which we’ll be again with extra movies. (Ladyland)
• Occasions are onerous, issues really feel heavy. Within the spirit of reduction, I go away you with this cat pole dancing to “Pour Some Sugar on Me”. (TikTok)
See you within the feedback!