It’s unlucky however true: stuffed portobello mushrooms used to get a foul rap. Being a vegetarian within the early aughts, I used to be usually left with only a few meatless mains to select from when it got here to consuming out. Having chosen my solely possibility from the menu, a waiter would inevitably seem with a big portobello cap centered on the plate. No accompaniments or garnishes—only a large baked mushroom. I’d be fortunate if I may swallow a single rubbery, bland chew. For sure, when it got here to portobellos, I used to be scarred. So what’s a recipe developer to do however create stuffed portobello mushrooms which can be really palatable, and dare I say, scrumptious.
The previous couple of years have seen a mushroom renaissance. From King Oyster to Hen of the Woods, mushrooms have develop into part of the culinary zeitgeist and are a pleasure to eat. In lots of kitchens (my very own included), mushrooms are lauded as a practical superfood and handled like a powerhouse ingredient.
I’ll eat mushrooms any and each approach I can. Whereas I’m keen on shiitake or maitake, I’ve just lately fallen in love with the earthiness of portobello mushrooms. They’re nice on their very own, including a meaty heft to omelets and pasta, however I’ve transformed to stuffed portobello mushrooms, having fun with all of the deliciousness I can. Nothing conjures up like incorporating new substances right into a staple dish, and lots of iterations of stuffed portbello mushrooms later, I’ve discovered the mix I’ll make now till without end. The very best half? You solely want 5 substances to cook dinner up slightly mushroom magic.
Tips on how to Cook dinner Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
I can’t take credit score for this trick, however one factor I found whereas making this recipe a couple of occasions was that mushrooms, when roasted, launch loads of water. I’m used to sautéing mushrooms in a pan, so I by no means gave this subject a lot thought. However when baked on a sheet tray, the mushrooms sit of their liquid and switch soggy.
After doing a little analysis, I discovered this technique that lets the mushrooms breathe whereas baking on an oven-safe cooling rack. This permits the additional liquid to empty off, serving to the mushrooms cook dinner by. Sport changer.
Don’t have an oven-safe cooling rack? I’ve additionally finished this by cooking the mushrooms first stem-side up after which flipping them in order that they cook dinner all the best way round. Worst-case state of affairs, sop up the liquid with a kitchen towel earlier than stuffing the mushrooms. Belief me: Attempting any of those easy tips will make all of the distinction.
The Filling: Tips on how to Caramelize Onions
Caramelized onions are actually one of many gems of the recipe world—scratch that, the meals world normally. The magic that occurs when onions cook dinner down, getting golden and candy, is a complete treasure. However I gained’t lie, I’ve burned my justifiable share of pans within the course of and been left with a couple of sticky, disagreeable outcomes. However after numerous batches, I’ve discovered a way that will get caramelized onions, in all their candy and jammy glory, excellent.
- Begin with chopped and diced onions. In lieu of lengthy strands, chopped and diced onions give your stuffing a tastier texture.
- Use a big pan. Bigger than you assume you want! The onions want room to cook dinner over direct warmth. When you pile them in a small pan, they’ll steam and get soggy. No thanks.
- The extra oil, the higher. Beginning with a couple of additional glugs helps maintain every little thing easy and shiny within the early levels of cooking. In case your pan feels dry whereas cooking the onions, add extra oil as wanted.
- Cook dinner low and gradual. Keep away from excessive warmth in any respect prices! Cooking your onions at a better temperature will dry the pan and burn your onions. I maintain the warmth on low to medium-low and regulate as wanted. It’d take a minute to search out the best stability between always stirring and letting the onions sit towards the warmth, nevertheless it’s properly well worth the effort.
- Deglaze with vinegar. I like balsamic or apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pan as soon as your onions are virtually finished cooking. Somewhat splash on the finish will decide up all of the golden bits sitting on the pan. Plus, the vinegar will add a pleasant chew of acidity to the onions that enhances the sweetness completely.
Caramelized onions take slightly babysitting and a little bit of time. However when cooked this manner, the ultimate consequence yields a lot taste.
Ideas for Subsequent-Degree Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
So you’ve gotten your tray of stuffed mushrooms. Now what?
I like serving my stuffed portobello mushrooms with a very brilliant and acidic salad. Crisp greens with a zingy lemon dressing make for an ideal pairing. When you assume your plate may use some carbs, serve a pot of rice alongside. Bread is at all times a scrumptious possibility, too.
When you’ve wrapped up your meal, don’t fear about leftovers. Personally, I discover that stuffed portobello mushrooms don’t maintain very properly, however I’ve discovered a tasty resolution for next-day deliciousness. If in case you have a couple of mushroom caps left, place them on a chopping board, chop, and cube them into small cubes. This contains the filling, too. Retailer within the fridge in an hermetic container.
The following day, sauté the leftovers in a pan and toss them into an omelet or frittata. Or, make a giant pot of pasta whilst you sauté the mushrooms in butter. Add the cooked pasta to the mushrooms with slightly of the pasta water plus Parmesan for added decadence. With leftover stuffed portobello mushrooms, something is feasible.